Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LaserJet printing black pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnipitus

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I have a HP LaserJet 1200 and no matter what I print it only prints black pages. I have tried the printer on 3 different machines and get the same results. On each machine I used the most current driver I could find. The machines were running WinXP, Win98, and NT 4.0. Any help on why it is doing this is appreciated.

The problem thie the HP printer is the laserjet inside is stuff. You should take it to your HP repairer and get it repaired.

Hello Omnipitus!
If the printer's warranty has run out, I would try to change the toner cartridge before taking it to your HP repairer.

Daniel Svensson

You're talking hardware probs with the printer. I've checked with others in my cubical and we agree, it could be bad laser, problems with the drum, or the primary corona wire. Most likely, according to a guy next to me who worked on HP laser printers some, it is the corona wire. There are 2 corona wires in there, usually. One affects the drum, giving it a charge. If this wire is touching something or has just gone bad. The other corona wire, which might be a charge roller depending on the speed of the printer, puts an opposite charge on the paper to attract the toner off the roller. Hope this information was helpful. hg

If I'm not mistaking, the corona is built in to the toner cartridge on LJ 1200.

Daniel Svensson

Yes, the charging roller (corona wires aren't used much anymore) in current model LaserJets is almost always contained in the toner cartridge. I would strongly recommend replacing the cartridge before paying the expense of a repair trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions...but I actually found a loose connection on some type of controller card inside the printer. After I re-seated the wire it seems to be working like a champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back