Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LaserJet 6mp on a G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bfv

Programmer
Aug 12, 2000
US
Okay, I'm stuck. I do tech support at my school and it's frustrating that I can't figure this out.

The art department has a "G3" in a case that says power pc. I dunno why they think it's a G3, but that's what they say it is so I'll believe it. Therefore, this computer has a modem and a printer port on it. They also have a laserjet 6mp and it has several possible output ports - none of which are ethernet ports. I can plug the computer and the printer into each other, but when I download the drivers off HP.com for the printer, it only gives me the option to select a printer over the network. The printer isn't on the network though, its on the printer port. I know there should be a simple solution, but I can't find it. Even the old Laser Jet 8 drivers don't give me a printer port option.

Help. :) [sig][/sig]

That's what I did, but in the chooser, in the box where I select what printer I'd like to use, I have only network choices, no printer port or modem port choice like you normally have. In the Zones box I have no choice for that either (I wasn't really expecting to have one though).

So at this point, we have installed the printer drivers and checked both the programs that came with it and the chooser and we have not found any option for printer or modem ports.

Well then, the easy way out would be to reinstall the O/S. I came across this problem
just last week. Seems that the system software gets corrupted somehow when you
are switching from local printers to a network. It only takes about an hour to reinstall.
Load the O/S, then get the printer working, then connect it to the network. You will
then be able to switch back and forth. Trying to find the problem may take several
hours, besides, my logic is that if one thing is corrupted, there may be more, so why
bother spending the time.

Yeah, that's usually how I feel. But I checked another printer out in the chooser (Color StyleWriter) and it had a selection for printer port and modem port. Do you still think I should reinstall?

This works; I do it all the time...

Make sure AppleTalk is turned ON, and set to use the printer port. We're making a mini AppleTalk network, not simply connecting a serial printer.

Then, if you want a direct connection, use an old ImageWriter cable (or other CROSSOVER, that is NULL MODEM), not a modem cable. Or, if you want more than one Mac or printer, use a couple of LocalTalk/phone-wire adapters, like from Farallon, etc (about $12/ea.)

Okay I guess I'll try that. I need the computer to be on the school network more importantly, so I guess I'll just mess around with it until I get it. Thanks. Maybe I'll try and reinstall also, I always liked that part :)

There may be a number of solutions to solve this issue.

If the printer does not have an ethernet network card you can-
1. Purchase a jet direct card for the laserjet 6mp printer.

2. Purchase a Farralon Iprint adapter that will allow you to connect the printer to an ethernet network. I believe This is the best solution to make your laserjet viewable on an ethernet network. Pretty cheap too. I think the adapter is around 100 bucks and the phone net around 12. I'm using 2 of the iprint adapters to hook up 2 old laserjet nt's to our network that only had serial ports for printer recognition.

3. I believe Sonic or Sonnet makes or made a software bridge to allow you to share the printer on an ethernet network through you computer. Kind of like sharing a pc's printer through the computer on the parralel port.

Also, download the latest and greatest Laserjet print drivers from the apple site.

Hope some of this helps..

Just a silly question, but have you check your appletalk connection?. If you are connecting to the printer via a serial cable(mac printer cable), the Apple Talk control panel should be set to connect via the modem/printer port.

which driver are you useing and which os, if it os9 or 8.5 the driver to use is in the os the laserwriter driver. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back