Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laserjet 4250 printing faded text

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveLord

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US

Our legal Department's printer is printing "dirty/faded" spots of text in the center about every 3-4 inches. This is before AND after putting in a new toner. Not a big deal to me, but as a law firm...they have to have many of their documents looking crisp and clean as possible.

I've opened the front and wiped down some of the parts, but there's been no change. The self cleaning feature didnt do anything either. And the second time I tried to run that, nothing even happened.

Thanks for any help.

IT Admin (Meridian/PBX Newbie)
SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

It could be a dirty laser assembly in which case you need to disassemble it and clean the polygon mirror and the other mirrors in the assembly.

wow that would be a first for me. know of any faqs or guides that picture that?

IT Admin (Meridian/PBX Newbie)
SaferTextiles Newark, NJ
Meridian Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

DavidEtling:

Hmmm... that mirror spins a lot faster than every 3-4 inches.

That's too far apart to be the transfer roller, too.... although faded printing is usually indicative of the transfer roller.

It's about the right size for the drum (which he changed with a new cartridge), or the fuser.

I would: 1) Change the transfer roller. 2) Check the fuser... actually pull it out and roll it (by the gears) and look for flakes of the coating.

If the unit has a lot of print on it, it would be a good idea to just do the entire "maintenance kit", which includes a new fuser, transfer roller, and a complete set of pickup rollers.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back