Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laserjet 4 printing on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz101

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
Our accouting uses an old Laserjet 4 printer with special ink for checks (otherwise we'd trash it).
Due to machine upgrades, I had to make use of its Jetdirect card and put it on the network.
Now, a few minutes after turning it on, its starts printing like crazy. I've done a cold reset, firmware upgrade, unplugged it for 10 minutes, to no avail. It prints fine using the new network config, as long as I get the job sent to it before this crap starts printing.
The document being printed is a few pages of weird information followed by tons of blank pages. Top of first page indicates that its a Microsoft Word document titled Lease Flyer.doc created on Windows NT 4.0, also it says "%!PS-Adobe-3.0"
Then theres a few pages of information which I assume is PS commands. If I interrupt its printing by taking it offline or resetting it, as soon as its back online it starts printing from the beginning again.
Like I mentioned, I've tried everything I know of to clear the memory, but it just won't stop. I'm trying to let the job run completely to see if that clears it, but its just feeding hundreds of blank pages now.
Any hints?

Do you usually send print jobs to this printer
using PostScript?
If not, it appears that some machine is trying to
send a PostScript print job to this printer. You need
to track down what machine is doing this, and kill the
print job at the source.
Can you run a packet sniffer on your network? That
might give you the IP address of the source machine.
Can you change the IP address of the printer's JetDirect
interface? It may be that a PostScript printer was
previously set up using that IP address, and a print
job is still trying to go to it.
HOw many Windows NT 4.0 machines do you have on your
network? If the number is small, it might be possible
to check them to see if any of them have a "flier.doc"
file in a print queue.

Aidan Grey

Also, scan your machines for viruses. Specifically, look for bugbear on your machines

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back