Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LaserJet 1200 stops for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
US
We have a LaserJet 1200 in our office that pauses print jobs for about 5 min. The print spool says it's printing. It doesn't do it all the time. Any ideas? <><

HI
It is fair to assume in your case as it happens only occasionally that your hardware and software are working ok. Therefore the only obvious thing is that the file is too large or complex for the spooler to deal with quickly or the local machine is not fast enough or not enough RAM, etc.

another possibility is that some HP hardware have a function that will stop the printer if things get to hot... (there's a thermistor on a lot of the parts that can get hot )

something to make sure of... that a lot of people ignore ... check your manual for spacing around the printer... i think it's like 2 or 3 inches all the way around the printer... i.e. no books leaning on the printer... no paper on the printer... plenty of room for the printer to BREATH.

The file isn't too large, because I tried a huge .tif file and it worked fine. The machine is a 2.5GZ with 256MB RAM. There is nothing around the printer that would cause it to overheat. <><

Hi
Give us some info about the OS, pc and the setup please.
Are the pc and printer a stand alone setup or are they part of a LAN?
How long do it take for the printer to warm up?

Biggest question to answer is whether this printer part of a LAN (shared network printer) or if it's on a peer-to-peer network. If so, the print server it's attached to could be causing problems.

I think when Ma5 mentioned there not being &quot;enough RAM&quot;, he meant locally on the printer, not your pc. I looked into it and the printer comes with 8MB of RAM upgradeable to 72MB. The problem might be the way the printer manages its own memory. Once full, it may take a while for it to clear. Try upgrading the amount if all else fails...
[deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Did ya know there is an upgraded driver for the 1200 on HP? Download the latest, see if that doesn't help ya. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back