Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Larger CPU fan for Asus Striker Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKAlbert

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
I tried to replace the Core 2 Duo fan with a Scythe Andy Samurai Master CPU heatsink/fan. Unfortunately, it does not fit inside of the heat pipes surrounding the chip. I want a large fan, 120 mm, in order to have it work more slowly and hence more quietly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am not sure that it will fit, however. I have written to them to verify. Thank you for your support.

Albert

LKAlbert,

I second the call for Zalman. Here are the sizing specs:

Also see thread602-1339464 for more recommendations. I really like the ZeroTherm for style points, might give it a try:

Core 2 Duos are known for running cool, even with minimal or passive cooling, so you don't really need a super-cooler as badly as with the older P4, Athlon, or Pentium D. There are lots of "cool" (ouch) coolers in that thread...[smile]

Tony

Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX fits on my Striker.
cools CPU very well and quite.

Yes, thank you for your reply. The main purpose is QUIET resulting from slow fan speeds.

As it turns out, Scythe may work after all. They sent me an email suggesting that I try facing the bent heat pipes facing the memory and from their tests that should work. I will keep everyone posted.

Silent PC Reviews is a site that specializes in reviewing components that are quiet. They rate the Scythe Andy Samurai Master tops for cool AND quiet. So, since I already have it but was unable to install it, I will try again. If it does not wsork then I will try the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX

You all have been really great in your comments. Thank you all.

Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back