Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large transaction log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
We have a 20M database but a 140M transaction log file. Attempting to shrink the log files only gives me about 10M back. I have done tlog backups as well as full backups but the log file seems to stay the same. Would it be safe to setup the backup to simple then change it back to full after a backup? Any other solution you can recommend?

Thank you in advance.

1) how much does your database change? this includes rebuilding indexes
2) is the database in log shipping?
3) does it matter if point in time restore is lost for that period?
4) are there uncommitted transactions?

I see you are backing up the log file and the database both so that is a good thing.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

When the database was created what was the size used for the log file? Maybe you can't shrink it because that is the size someone decided the log file should be?

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

1) how much does your database change? this includes rebuilding indexes
Very little. We have about 10 users out of which only 2 are considered heavy users​
2) is the database in log shipping?
No log shipping. We have a single SQL2005​
3) does it matter if point in time restore is lost for that period?
We do daily full backups, every 6h tlogs. Not messing with incremental or differential since our dbases are small.
4) are there uncommitted transactions?
Just checked them and no uncommitted tlogs are present.

Thanks in advance again.

As SQLBill indicated check the size restrictions, then during off hours, after a full backup you can do as you thought. Change to simple, shrink, change to full.

This should shrink the size, however you will need to watch the size over the next few days to see if there is excessive growth.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Thank you Djj. I'll attempt these changes over the coming weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back