Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large SATA drive support win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunder2011

Technical User
Jun 12, 2011
IR
Hi All,
I have a Compaq Presario V3137AU with default 80GB sata HDD.
unfortunately the hdd crashed,I asked HP for a new one and hey say they don't have any HDD less then 320 GB.
So I bought A WD 320 GB hdd and installed Win XP SP2.I had a lot of difficulties installing WINxp AND LOTS OF bsods.
The windows boots up and randomly I get BSOD maily related to HDD.
HP tells me that this HDD is too large for the laptop and this is the main problem.
have tried both fat32 and ntfs formatting with the same result.
Is anyone aware of a solution for such cases please?Any suggestions pls.
thanks.

Yes, please give us clear answers as to A)whether you have tried what we suggested and B) what the outcomes were if you did.

I thought It would be a good idea to share the solution here incase someone is directed to this page by search engines.
Apparently HP Suppor was wrong and the "Your motherboard does not support more than 80G HDD" is BS.
The problem is with the Nvidia chipset drivers.The HP site has failed to keep the drivers updated so has the MS Upate.I used a utility called driver magic*** to find the latest chipset drivers.
I waited for a week until today to be able to confirm the solution has worked.
Thanking you all for your advices.

I thought It would be a good idea to share the solution here incase someone is directed to this page by search engines.

Yes, very good of you.

I'm kind of doubting the solution, but see if it works over a period of time.

I used a utility called driver magic*** to find the latest chipset drivers

I would caution anyone using random third party solutions to detect/install drivers. Some are good, some are virus traps. Just be careful. The manufacturer of the hardware (nvidia, intel, etc.) and/or the manufacturer of the computer are the best sources.

what you need to do is "tattoo" the hard drive using a utility from HP called HDD-DMI. this is done for motherboards and hard drives.

Having only heard of / seen that code purple in one instance before, never needing the utility myself in similar circumstances and then looking it up, I don't think that is required or the source of the problem in this situation.

He got a blue screen (BSOD) not code purple.

From this article:

"HP uses "tattoos" to prevent the OEM license from migrating to other PCs."

"The "tattooing" of the hard drive is an old method that is no longer used in the newer PCs."

Another interesting article:

Ive personally had to do a tattoo of a new motherboard for a HP desktop on a service call last year but it was an 2 year old machine then so it does fit in that timeline.
I agree and know that the HDD tattooing is a thing of the past but with a replacement motherboard, I believe i could be necessary if the code is seen.

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

I know we're boring the OP, but I'm really surprised that I think I only saw this case once in all the PCs I've worked on.

I didnt know that the issue was that isolated as I had very limited experience with it as well. Just figured my area got lucky. After 8 years of commercial work and 12ish in general, Ive only came across maybe 2 cases. Hoping others chime in. Mine wasn't a horror story as some have said.

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Well, I know 10 years or so ago, we were required to tattoo the system board bios on HP computers, otherwise the restore disks would not work. Other than that, I found no reason to do it. Most of their system boards were very low end ASUS boards, you could flash standard ASUS bios, if you didn't want to use the HP recovery disks, and it would work no problem. HD tattoo, I would think would be something like the hdd fw lock on xbox, and xbox360 hard drives, so you couldn't just buy a cheaper hard drive and stick it in the case after you flashed the firmware, at least that's what I did on my xbox, and 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back