Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large partition in nw4.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecrab

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
US
I have a 13GB IDE harddrive and netware 4.11. I am having problems creating a netware partition with all 12.5GB that are left after the DOS partition. Netware claims the disk is only 8GB. I see this in all fdisk programs as well, aside from win98 bootdisk which will cause NW install to hang. It seems after I install SP9, the additional 3GB shows up as "Free space", but I am not allowed to add this free space to the pre-existing partition. I can delete the partition, and then make it the full 12.5GB, but I lose system files and have to reinstall the OS to finally have my big partition. There must be an easier way then this! is there?

What type of machine are you using? I experienced this on an old type of machine. "It's true, its damn true!"

It's just for home use. AMD K6 233, 64MB Edo Ram, Amptron PM-9600 TXtwo chipset.

I found a post of the same problem on a different site, and the guy said he got around it by using win98 fdisk to create a large dos partition with all the space left. Then during install apparently NW will see this dos partition as its actual size, and you can delete it and use all space in NW partition. It's easier then my workaround of installing twice for sure.

If only I cound find a bootdisk whos system files recognized large disks (dos 6.22 doesnt), but which doesn't cause the system to hang on install (win98's does). I think I'd be set.

Interesting, does your BIOS see the proper size of your hard disk also? "It's true, its damn true!"

HI.

Upgrading (flashing) the BIOS might solve the problem.

Installing NW5 instead of 4 will also help, since NW5 supports more then 1 netware partition per disk.
(and maybe NW5 will see all disk).

Search Novell site for some keywords like
INT13 Extensions IDE 8gb
They might have a file that you can replace on the installation files that can fix the problem.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Hi All,

I have the same problem on a new PC running 4.11. Can you advise if you had any luck with resolving this issue?

Thanks

I would advise flashing the system BIOS, I have a NetWare 4.11 system with a 150 Gig partition, there should be no problem with NetWare 4.11 seeing your 12.5 Gigs. If you are having problems I would say it's related to the BIOS of the system and not NetWare. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Of course this also could be related to the IDE Driver shipped with the install version of NetWare. Suggest you get NetWare SP9a and grab the IDE Driver out of it to install your Netware partition. I know in older versions of NetWare the system could only create an 8 Gig partition on an IDE Drive. Sounds like this could be a source of the problem as well. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I had the same issue. I wound up installing 4.11 and let netware create the volumes as best it could but the data volume was not at full size.

I installed the latest service pack then deleted the data volume and let netware recreate it and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back