Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Page File

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobajwa

MIS
Feb 10, 2005
US
I have been recently testing out different options for the page file testing and trying different sizes. I have 512 MB DDR ram and right now i am using the custom size paging file and ive allocated 256MB -1024 MB for it.

The paging file is usually 300 MB when the pc starts up, but it goes up to 700-800 MB after the computer is left on for 3-4 hours ?
That never happened before.. Somehow the page file size doesnt change Dynamically . Or should I say, it increases dynamically when more programs are run , but it never drops down , when i close all those programs.

What do you guys thing ?

-
mobajwa

thanx bill. i have gone through those articles but still cant figure out why the paging file doesn shrink back when i have closed the programs !

-
mobajwa

It is lazy.

Actually, it anticipates a need for that storage allocation again - either because the application will be called again or another of equal demands will be called to replace it. Because the memory is paged, and interleaved, it does not profit the system to take the time and close interleaved blocks and consolidate the active pages unless really necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back