Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LARGE NUMBER OF CORDLESS BEHIND OPTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

buycvi

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2003
US
I have a client who has a client that is looking to place 400 to 500 cordless/wireless phones behind an Option PBX. I was looking for some guidance as to what to quote. I do resell Engenius but was wondering if this would be the best way to go. The facility these would be going into is a medical facility with lead walls, three story facility. They currently have a cordless/wireless system in place but are experiencing a lot of dropped calls.

Any suggestions?

Look at the wireless ip sets with multiple repeaters.

John

In the past I have researched the Engenius product and found it to be a nice setup. But for a three story medical facility wireless VoIP is likely a far better way to go. You'll have to spend some money for PBX licenses and Voip gear if your PBX is not allready VoIP enabled. And than setup your IP network to support wireless.

Some investment required. However, you will have a VoIP and Wireless setup that will support many other applications besides wireless/VoIP like desk IP phones, two-way wireless information terminals for medical technicians, and much much more. Leaving many ways to ROI the investment.

We put in the Nortel WLAN 2211 handsets. They work okay, as long as you get the AP's set up correctly. The battery life is rotten though. I personnally wouldn't recommend these if you have people that plan to use it throughout an entire shift, because the battery won't last. There not cheap either.

got to agree, be sure not to go cordless.. wireless with antana's that can swap the access points.. when the user is on the move, a wireless (or cordless) will not transmit through lead, but the wireless will swap to another access point without dropping.. nortel is high dollar but so is cisco.. we use cisco with good results.. that i believe is the top of the line for voip.. we use between 2 and 3 hundred at a hospital, not flawless, phones could be a little more rugged, but way above nortel..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back