Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large HTML files crash IE 6 on 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcraig

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
CA
Hey everyone.

I have a weird problem, hopefully one of you can give me a hint on. I have a bunch of computers that are basically identical as far as OS (win98) and internet explorer 6, SP1.

When trying to view a few web pages that we frequent, IE crashes. The pages are about a meg in size each, and have a lot of tables in them. They will load completely in the status bar at the bottom of IE, but just as they go to render in the window, I get an illegal operation error pop up on the screen. This does not happen with all of the machines, just a few. I can not see any differences between the configurations of these PC's. They all have windows 98 with 128 megs of RAM. I did all of the windows updates to one of the ones that do not work, and it made no difference at all. I increased the size for temporary internet files to 150 megs, as well as cleared the temp internet files and cookies and history, and still no difference.

Anyone out there have any ideas why IE would crash opening a 1 meg html document?

Have you tried using a different browser ie: Opera, Netscape Navigator etc.?

I have, however, the page that I am trying to view does not display in anything other than IE, so I can not even get to the page that causes the error.

Doesn't sound like the page has been written correctly then if it won't open in another browser.
HTML is meant to be a universal language.
Is this pure HTML or does it use any other language ie: java, php, asp etc.?

What is the illegal operation error exactly?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Sorry for not including this origionally..

IE encountered a problem and must close. Details:

Error Signature:

Appname: iexpolore.exe
Appver: 6.0.2800.1106
Modname: smail11.dll
Modver: 1.1.0.1
Offset: 00006d05

Exception Info:

Code: 0xc00000fd
Flags: 0x00000000

I sure hope that this means something to someone, because it doesn't mean a lot to me!

The page uses a lot of javascript and stuff. But the main page I am having problems with does not. It is just HTML with tables. But with other browsers, the index page does not load properly, so I can not get to the main page I am having problems with.

Ok Bcraig;
It's a BAD file smail11....Kill it! either delete it or rename it first.....see;
look for bold smail11 in the hijack log..

Get AdAware, SpyBot S & D, HijackThis! and CWShredder
Get AdAware from SpyBot S&D from d/l links at bottom of link page
Go here and read the "Hijack removal" section
and run "HijackThis!"
read the page on how to use at

Search the FAQ here from dropdown boxes on top for much more [smile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Thanks for the suggestion TT4U! I will keep this on file, and when I get another instance, I will tackle at it! Sounds like it is the problem tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back