Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Format LCD Displays 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry3787

Technical User
Sep 18, 2008
US
I need guidance and clarity about integrating a large format display into my existing system. I wish to use a 30" to 40" display as a third monitor along with my current system which has two 22" displays.

1st, my 22" Acers have a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and something like a SAMSUNG 400DX has resolution of 1366 x 768. I was expecting higher resolution, something proportionate to the size of the display.

I wish to use this in a business application, drafting, where the two 22" displays will provide menus and close detailing of the structure and where the 30" to 40" display will enable me to view the complete plan of a pdf drawing in the range of 30 x 42 inches. This is why I was expecting the large format displays to have a higher resolution, so details would be clear.

What am I missing in this scenario?

Thanks for any help,

Jerry

Simple, the SAMSUNG 400DX is a monitor for viewing Video, thus the lower resolution...

and the Samsung SYNCMASTER TFT 305T plus (30") has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 Pixel which requires a DUAL LINK capable Graphics card... draw back, this baby costs over $1500 (€1400)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks, so what is the difference between a graphics card with two ports and a "DUAL LINK" graphics card? Higher onboard memory for the higher pixel count of the 305T?

Jerry

The dual link varieties provide twice as much power and deliver the data more rapidly than the single link kind. This has a practical benefit with larger monitors, in that it allows a higher maximum resolution to be transmitted. In compatibility terms, the physical difference between single link and dual link is purely a matter of the absence or presence of extra pins in the middle section of the plug; any DVI-D or DVI-I-ready graphics card can accept either level.
source: DVI and VGA monitor formats explained

The monitor is attached only to one port of the graphics card, and the other is usually not DUAL LINK Capable...

read a rather interesting piece here, it's a bit dated but will give you insights into the matter:

Dell 3007WFP 30-inch LCD Monitor Review

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thank you BadBigBen, I appreciate your time and your efforts.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back