Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large disk to disk copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skibs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2000
GB
I want to copy files from one server drive to another mapped drive on a different server. Both win 2000 domain servers. The xcopy / command fails with out out of resource error...Backup exec or win backup create backup files whereas i want to recreate a copy of the folder and file structure. Any idea's ? Could always buy softwrae at a push! but is there any thing by microsoft or built in?

cheers

Pete Taylor
Operations manager

Have you tried using the MS Reskit's robocopy command which is more robust than xcopy and will copy folder structures and their associated securities. I have used it plenty of times when migrating file servers to new hardware

cheers mate..thats the kind of thing I was looking for ...still greatfull for any other calls too!.. I would like to get this running pretty soon...I was going to run a little script with an at comand. Simplest best!!

cheers
pete

ARCserve has a file copy feature I use for this sort of thing but Robocopy is a better solution given it sounds like you use Backup Exec for your backup solution (I'm suprised that doesn't have a file copy option to though).

I looked at backup exec...it creates backup files. I could'nt see a file to file option but I'll have another look.

cheers
pete

I use Veritas to backup the files then restore them to the new server. The only thing you lose are the share info/security, but normally that's pretty easy to recreate if it's a departmental folder. If it's a users folder that would be a bit more involved.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back