Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptops w/ DB9

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpAdam

Vendor
Mar 12, 2007
US
I'm soliciting Meridian folks because you likely have encountered this...

I need laptops with serial ports. Those USB to Serial adapters just don't always cut it.

So far I've found that the Dell Lattitude Line and the MPC Transport T3200e have serial ports.

Does anyone know of any others?

both my hp's and toshibia have serial ports.. but i perfer the dell to either of those

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I used to think that at one time. I have been using a usb adapter for some time with no problem. You will have to be careful because not all serial/usb adapters will work the same in all machine. I would give you the name of the one I'm using but all of the lettering is now gone. I will look at home for the software.

Thanks for all of the information. I've had luck with a keyspan USB adapter but it still doesn't work on all of the switches. I've also used from from Tripp Lite in the past and it worked with some devices but not all...

I've got a Dell Latitude that I like a lot. I'm a Dell reseller but recently our Rep at Dell isn't giving us the pricing that he used to. Paying full price just isn't worth it ;)

FYI - I've gone through the laptops from HP, Compaq, Toshiba (most of them), Gateway, and Lenovo and I can't find any serial ports on them.

Have you looked at just getting serial cards? Should be cheap.

Mato' Was'aka

I have a USB Serial adapter that I have never had problems with on Nortel phone systems, Ethernet switches, routers or anything else. The only problem I have is sometimes it wants to be COM7; sometimes COM8.

I believe the secret is to look for one that says it works with a Palm sync cradle.

you can set up the driver for the converter to always choose the same com port.

i use some generic one, set it to always choose com 1 and only ever use the same usb port to plug it into.

been doing this for over a year now and haven't had any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back