Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop won't boot after new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2003
US
My laptop won't boot up at all. Whenever I try any of the following, the power light turns on for a few seconds then shuts off. The next time I try to turn it on, nothing happens at all. Here is what I've tried: two different motherboards (they were refurbished, so I thought the first time, it might be a motherboard problem). I have tried different DIMMs in both slots, a different hard drive, a different power supply, no power supply, a different battery, no battery, testing all the screws, testing the connections for the keyboard and touchpad. The only other thing I can think to try is the processor, but if I'm wrong, I hate to waste the money. Can anyone help? By the way, it might help to know the reason I was swapping out the motherboard in the first place was because windows would only load in safe mode, but when I took the hard drive out and put it in another laptop, windows loaded just fine and when I took the hard drive from the good laptop and put it in my troubled laptop, I got the same problem. And after trying everything else I could think of, I tried swapping motherboards.

Swapping out MB's and HD's is not the recommended way to solve a problem with a system that starts only in Safe mode.

Reinstall the original MB and HD, and see if restoring an earlier Registry using scanreg /restore fixes things for Win 98, or a system restore works for Win ME, 2000, or XP.

If no luck, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot the problem.

Also what kinda CPU I have had alot of AMD CPU's when on a newly flashed motherboard or new motherboard do the same try setting the FSB jumper to 100mhz like a Duron then after it boots up turn off and set to normal settings, sometimes this is due to the memory being set to High of a Freq. in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back