Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop will not power up!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

piwadmin

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
My laptop will not power up using the power supply. First, I plug the power supply in the outlet and the indicator light comes on so I know the power supply is working. However, when I plug it into my laptop it is not charging my laptop. Furthermore, when it’s plugged into my laptop the green indicator light goes out like its not charging. I have plugged it into another laptop and it works fine, so the problem has to be with my laptop. Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this problem? I have a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Have you tried another battery or removing the battery and powering the laptop from the power supply? And to cover another base, have you tried another power supply with your laptop?

I have tried another battery supply and I have also tried with the battery removed from the laptop. The power supplies are fine, the green indicator light comes on when its plugged into the outlet. However, as soon as it is plugged into the laptop the indicator light goes out. I have to remove it from the laptop and unplug it from the outlet to reset the power supply. These same power supplies are working fine with my other laptop.

power jack on the laptop - it's a pretty common problem. Unless you have soldering equipment for computers, then you've got to:
1. Take it to someone who can fix it.
2. Buy a replacement motherboard, since it's onboard - soldered.
3. Get a new laptop. ;0)

I believe you can get it fixed at best buy for around $150, but I don't remember for sure.

There are also people on eBay who charge something like $100 to do these repairs, I believe. I can't vouch for them, but I have noticed at least a couple which seemed to have good reviews.

And then again, it may be something you can pick up a cheap soldering kit and do it yourself - I've no idea, just haven't taken the time to try. According to TomsHardware, and one article they put together, you really should get certain equipment when soldering PC components.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

$75 is a more reasonable price if you look on Craig's List or a qualified local company (not Geek Turds or Goon Squash)

I have tried another battery supply and I have also tried with the battery removed from the laptop. The power supplies are fine, the green indicator light comes on when its plugged into the outlet. However, as soon as it is plugged into the laptop the indicator light goes out. I have to remove it from the laptop and unplug it from the outlet to reset the power supply. These same power supplies are working fine with my other laptop.

me said:
power jack on the laptop

Also called the DC jack.

--

old school
remove the battery, keep it unplugged

hold the power button for like a minute, put it all back together and see what happens.

That doesn't sound like the issue we're having, but agree on last ditch effort with what robmazco said. That has worked for me a couple of times on non-responsive laptops.

I went to craigslist and found someone to either solder or replace the DC jack. Thanks for your help!!!

The fact that the power supply LED goes out when plugged into your laptop leads me to believe you have a short somewhere which is why I suggested removing the battery.

I guess it could be the DC jack at fault. Has anyone any ideas of confirming this before piwadmin shells out $$$ ?

piwadmin,

Did you ever get this sorted out? for some reason it was showing up at the top of my threadminder list, so it reminded me about this one. [smile]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back