Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop users, Admin rights or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
Our laptop users had been given Admin rights locally due to some legacy apps that did not behave for "regular" users. Presently, we no longer run these apps, but we'd like to allow user to install AV updates when they are on the road. However, we'd rather they not have local admin rights.

All feedback is appreciated...

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Our users do not have admin rights on their laptops. AV updates are pushed from the server or done through Norton Live update and Admin rights are not needed.

Curious
If they are on the road, why can't they connect to the AV host site without going through your network?
They have to have a modem? Depending if they have a ISP. Most Hotels do now-a-days.
Your AV software If Registered Correctly should allow them to get any updates they require.

Another answer would be, have them get the updates from your network. Just giving them access to the AV Update folder/files.

[COLOR=blue I]Usually the K.I.S.S. method or theory works the best in situations like this.[/color blue I]

Don't know if this will help but I'm sure we're making this harder then it really is.

Pin

We give admin rights to all users in our company whether they have a laptop or a desktop. There are some programs that require the user to have admin rights to the system. I think Microsoft even gives their users admin rights to their PC. I read that in one of their security white papers.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Take a look at:

I do not know if it applies to your AV app but there may be some info you can use

Jim: A+, MCP W2k, Master Electrician

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."
-Albert Einstein

Hi

In all office environments I've worked in where default Win2k user security setting haven't been satisfactory I've changed them to Power Users. This gives programmes the ability to write their own temp files etc. etc. There should be no reason to give users full admin rights other than when installing PDA software etc. under their personal profile.

Most AV software will update automatically without admin rights if it is setup correctly.

Cheers
Nick

Thank you for all your feedback. I think Power Users is the best setting for road warriors, as it does not completely stifle their abilities to do what they need.

Thanks to all who responded!!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back