Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop to PC – How do I connect the two? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyW

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Hiee!

I’m pretty good with computers, but when it comes to hardware…I’m kinda lost! I need help!

I have a laptop computer, I used to use a desktop computer.

Anyway, I have some files I need to access from my old desktop computer and I want to hook up to it with my laptop.

Is this possible to do? I’m sure it is.
How can I do it though? I don’t know where to start!

Some info:
My laptop: Windows XP
RAM: 512 MB
DELL – It’s quite new. I bought it in June of 2004

My PC:
Windows 98
RAM: 448 MB

Also, I checked my PC, I believe it has a PCI Ethernet Adapter that’s the wider sized looking telephone jack right?

Sorry for my inexpertise here! Feel a little silly!
Jenny

Well if your PC has an ethernet connection and your new laptop is also very likey to have the same, all you need is a (crossed) PC to PC ethernet cable, available in all lengths from 3 to 15metres.
Connect the two and use your laptops network wizard to setup a home or small office network (follow on screen prompts)
My network places/setup home or small office network.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi pap!

Thanks so much!

all you need is a (crossed) PC to PC ethernet cable
Will a ethernet cord do the trick?

Connect the two and use your laptops network wizard to setup a home or small office network (follow on screen prompts)
I don’t have a Computer Monitor for my PC that I’m hooking my laptop up to. Is that ok?
At this point I just want to search around in my PC with my laptop (transfer files back and forth).

Thanks again.
Jenny ;-)

Folders have to be shared so the laptop can see them, so you will need a monitor hooked up even if it's just for a short time to do this.

Hopefully once setup, your laptop will see the PC.

Martin

Damn you pap!! I can’t find my monitor!

Thanks so much for the help!

In your experience, is this a pretty easy thing to do – Using the Laptops Network Wizard to set everything up?

Thanks again.
Jenny

Jenny,

may be useful. 9 times out of 10, it takes just a few minutes to successfully set up a network connection between 2 windows machines - but you will need a monitor for the PC! (to set it up - once set up, you can drive it all from the laptop - just make sure you set the PC to logon automatically when it starts up - you can do this with tweakui - so you could borrow a monitor if yours has really disappeared)

JennyW
Hi there! sorry bout that, there is just no work around without a screen.

As an alternative I have found my flash pen very useful in these circumstances.
They are relatively inexpensive nowadays and are pretty useful things to have generally so I'm sure you would use it for other things as well.
Just an idea!
Martin

Another suggestion, you can always go buy a used 14 in screen for around $15 to $20. If its just for that job thats all you need. Always handy to have around.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the info!

Another suggestion, you can always go buy a used 14 in screen for around $15 to $20. If its just for that job thats all you need. Always handy to have around.

garebo, where do you suggest I could buy a used screen?

Are there any stores in the city that sell that kind of stuff?

Thanks again.
Jenny [sunshine]

Well, on the other post, i pointed out the forums. But they are better for smaller parts.
For a monitor, especially now that i know where you live, there are tons of stores around you where you can get a monitor, used, for the money i mentioned.
Maybe not quite that low as i originally figured you were in the US, so maybe you might spend $25.
If you dont know then go to best buy or future shop and ask any guy or gal that works there, if no good, ask for the tech department and ask one of them, they will know for sure. If not, ask someone in the store, someone who looks like a tech-head, like me, lol.
On your other thread, i gave you the names of some forums.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Jenny,

You won't be able to use a normal ethernet cable, it has to be what's known as a crossover ethernet cable. The wires inside the cable are connected in a different pattern. Any place that has normal ethernet cable should have them on hand or be able to make one quickly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back