Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop stalling - very weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

baracuda

Technical User
Nov 6, 2003
US
I have a Presario 18XL590 that I just freshly installed with Win XPP. I am having a weird problem that I can't figure out. The machine seems to fail to complete tasks - like opening programs. It is almost like the machine is busy but when I check task manager it doesn't appear that anything is running interference. When I click to open a program, I get an hourglass for a second or two and then it disappears but the program doesn't open. The system doesn't appear to freeze or lock up because I can still get some things to function (like the program list appearing from the start button) but nothing will open. Then, after several minutes, all of a sudden everything I tried to open previously opens with rapid succession. I don't get any video flashing or flickering, the machine doesn't appear to be unusually hot, and when it is not "stuck", software functions normally. I don't know where to begin. I have checked the logs and there are a few hints of problems, but nothing obvious. Could this be a processor problem and if so, is there a definitive way to diagnose it? This problem was occuring before I reformated the drive.

Ok this is not a software problem so try check the hardware and see whats wrong. I believe check the RAM first (change them or remove some - if you have more than one). If you cannot do that, try memory test programs (microsoft has one i think but you can find many of them).

I wouldn't rule it out, but if there is a problem with memory then I would expect a BSOD rather than programs just waiting forever to open. That's a strange way for faulty RAM to behave - and as you say, it doesn't seem to be using any of the system resources when it hangs fire.

Is there any unusual hardware in the system? It could be that there's something that Windows is struggling with before it does any work (this wouldn't show as using much processor-time or memory-commitment in the Task Manager). Try running in Safe Mode (F8 during boot) and see if it has the same problem.

If that has no effect check your page-file (virtual memory) settings - that's a long-shot though.

Thanks for all the help. I fixed the problem and it appears to have been a software issue. I thought I had done a clean install of WIN XPP but realized it was actually a repair install. In addition, I believe I had some things running in the back ground (such as Windows Defender and NAV updating) that didn't appear in the task manager. I started from scratch - did a fresh install of the OS and did not reinstall either Norton or Defender and haven't had the problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back