Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajduk1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2005
GB
Hi
I have a IBM thinkpad T30 laptop, and for some reason after I have had it on for approx 4 hrs it just switches off , no windows is shutting down, no blue screen , nothing just bang and off it goes . Then I cannot start it back up for approx 12 hours.
Anyone with any ideas on this one. :)

I take it that you have it plugged into the mains when this is happening?

Is the "Running off Mains" (or something like it) icon showing on the taskbar near the clock?

Sounds Like a potential Heat problem. Its getting too hot, and just shuts down and you have to wait until it cools for it work again.

Make sure all vents and air intakes are clear and clean of dust.

Make sure the fan is actually working.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Shouldn't that 12 hr to cool down so I don't think it's over heating. Try removing the battery and see if it keeps running then.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Sorry for the delay running on mains when it happens, will not start on battery only when plugged into mains but once started up will run on battery fine.
AJD

It will run on battery if you unplug the Mains?

Sounds like your battery or charge circuit has gone...

To test this, just run the laptop on mains without the battery in it.

Does it still shut down?

Isn't that what I said?

it will run on mains without battery inserted, it will run on battery whilst unplugged from the mains . Aftre running on battery for a while I plug into mains and it charges fine. It is very tempremental starting up, some times it does, sometimes it doesn't. also as said earlier after about 4-5 hrs it just shuts off with no warning.I first thought the same as a few others on here that it is a heat problem (and still maybe) but what is throwing me is the fact that sometimes it will not start even after 12 hrs rest then all of a sudden it starts.I think I need to d/load some IBM diagnostics software if I can find it :(

yes laptop still shuts down if on mains with battery out. I have changed processor and heatsink/fan unit and still the same. it runs fine then sort of pings and shuts down and will not re-start. if I leave it for a while it sometimes restarts it sometimes doesnt, its a kind of pot luck.
Could it be motherboard? if so, is it worth replacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back