Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop sees network, can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongous

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hi, I have 2 desktops connected to the internet via a cable modem. I recently moved them into another room, and my laptop couldn't find the network, plus I couldn't connect with the 'wired' pc's either as long as they were plugged into the router (dlink). So I bought a new wireless router (Linksys) and now my laptop can see the network but can't connect to the internet. Any ideas? The wired pc's can connect, and the laptop says the signal strength is 'excellent' and is connected, but no internet.

Wrong security code? Wrong SSID? Is router running DHCP? Try the laptop on a wired connection first, then go to wireless and ensure IP settings are similar.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Check if your laptop is configured to connect the right DNS server (unless it's already automatically configured). You may also want to check your router to see if there's any restriction put on your router's access point.

Thanks for your help. I got it, it was configured to use a certain ip address, I just changed to obtain address from router. Thanks again! Tek-Tips rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back