Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop screen shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmssi

MIS
Aug 22, 2000
US
i have a question about laptop screens. I have a compaq presario laptop and after a while being on it the screen starts shaking a little bit and then that leads to where it then starts flashing and before i know it, it shuts itself down. what is the cause of this? usually happens after about 2 hours of use at a time. thanks for any help.

Is the battery low at that point? If not, it probably needs to be repaired.

sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't means the battery is sometimes low and sometimes isn't when it starts shaking..

Try plugging in the charger when it is shaking. If it stops, it's probably just a low battery. Otherwise, I think someone will need to do some testing to see what's wrong. Maybe another forum member will have some ideas.

It could be something as simple as a loose connection from the small cable that connects to the motherboard. My laptop sometimes does that at startup. I get no video except for flashing lines across the screen. I know it's probably not the real way to go - but I just give it a hard tap on the top of the screen - and it's alright again. Try the hard tap when it's shaking - if it fixes it - it's probably the connection!! (I know, I know - not a very 'technical' suggestion!!!)

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

Firstly I would update your video drivers and see how it performs , failing this , and the battery and power supply all check out , you have a problem with the video chip overheating which should be rectified a soon as possible to avoid permanent damage to the video chipset .

Well,it might be a video chip issue,it could also be an invertor board(supplies power for the back light),or it could be the lcd panel. The invertor is the only one out of the three that would cost under $100 to fix. LCD panels range from 350-1000 depending on size,and type. Laptop system boards are very expensive 300-1000 depending on board and avalability of parts. these prices are estimates only from my experience repairing laptops,and so not reflect labor prices,which could be 100-400 more.

If it's an older pII or pIII system,might be easier finding parts on ebay,But only attempt laptop repairs,if you are very confident in your abilities, they are much more fragile then desktops,and it's very easy to destroy one if not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back