Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop recovery console chkdsk /f

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcochran1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
US
I have a tablet PC with Windows tablet PC ed. An attempt to install ITunes failed suggesting to run chkdsk /f. The my computer option to run chkdsk on restart does not work. The software for the Toshiba laptop only came with an archived disk image, no windows XP disk to get to the recovery console to attempt to run chkdsk. Toshiba tech support suggests system restore to an earlier date, then starting from scratch if that fails or paying for MS support.

My question is if I use another Windows XP disk (home, pro oem) can I safely get to the recovery console and run chkdsk /f without risking my data. Does the fact that it is a different flavor of XP matter for recovery console purposes? If not how do I actually get to the recovery console?

The command for ChkDsk is /r not /f when using the Recovery Console.

I don't think that XP is too worried which version of the Recovery Console you use, you can even use a 2000 CD version. If you boot from the XP CD and press F10 early on the piece (after it has asked you to press F6 is a good time) it should take you into the Recovery Console after it has copied a few Setup files onto the hard drive. When there try the ChkDsk /r command. You will probably need your Built-in Administrator password to login into the Recovery Console.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks

linney,

Thanks, I will try this weekend, but it sounds like I will be stuck because my other win XP install disks are pre SP2; based on this link from the info you posted above?

I also do not have a floppy drive with the laptop.

JLC

You should consider that Apple no longer suggests a chkdsk for this error:

If Windows has difficulty reading information off iPod or iPod shuffle, it may display a message from the System Tray, indicating there's a corrupt file and to please run the Chkdsk utility.

We recommend using the latest iPod Updater to restore iPod because this will address the file system issue and will also defragment the iPod drive. Although you can use the Chkdsk utility to fix file system errors on the drive mapped to iPod, Chkdsk will not defragment the drive.

iPod Updater:

Installing Recovery Console

Start XP Normally.
Look in your Toshiba CD for a directory \i386

If found, follow the instructions for installing Recovery Console:

To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.

sounds like I will be stuck because my other win XP install disks are pre SP2"

I think that article is referring to INSTALLING the Recovery Console as opposed to RUNNING the Recovery Console from a CD at Boot time.

It took awhile to get resolved, but finally borrowed an XP installation disk from work and ran the recovery console. After chkdsk /r I was able to once again defrag, (was stuck in a "must run chkdsk" loop and was 30% fragmented), and finally installed ITunes 7 so I could download movies.

Thanks for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back