Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Recommendations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stella740pl

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hello everyone!

I need an advice on something I was asked for an advice.

A relative of mine is looking for a laptop.

He already has an older and upgraded once or twice Acer desktop, barely capable of doing what it needs to do. Now he wants a laptop - portable, reasonably powerful for the purpose, and on a budget. I think, eventually that will be his only machine, but for now he keeps the desktop, too.

The person is a retired professional in his area, but not very computer-savvy. The machine is primarily intended for doing some occasional contract/freelancing work requiring engineering technical drawing (like machine and mechanism design, etc.), and also personal photo storage and Internet-browsing/e-mail (generally, no music and movies downloading will be taking place, but rather family pictures exchange).

The software that will be installed to do the work part will be AutoCAD and other 2D and 3D packages (not sure which ones exactly, but know that they require quite some space to install and big enough storage for the files that will be produced). A reasonably large screen is also a requirement for this type of work.

As for the budget, I would say, preferably under $1500 (even better if less than that), but may go up to $2000 or so.

Another note, I don’t build computers, and not planning to, so something off-the-shelf is preferred (at most, a company that makes custom builds will be considered).

The one I am currently looking at is HP HDX16t (see (It comes with Vista Home Premium, which I’ve never used, just as any other Vista, so don’t know about its suitability for the purpose, either.)

I would like an input from the professionals here on this one or suggestions for another one.

Also, can you please explain what the pros and cons of going 64b vs. 32b? Which one would make sense for the purpose?

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Stella

Thanks guys.

cdogg,

...that the user probably already has a decent monitor from the old CAD desktop.
Decent is the right word here. Don't remember the size, but nothing outstanding - and it works, within reason. Mobility indeed would be very much appreciated.

BadBigBen,

could not have been from TT... it would have worked then... Stella you could have just asked US...
You are right. Not from TT. Don't remember the site, but I remember that I looked for some brand-specific recommendations (they are different brands), as on one of the HDs I couldn't even find jumpers.

I probably should ask here when I decide to revisit the issue. Must warn you, though, that I don't know the right terminology and will sound completely amateurish (well, I am!). I guess, I will have to take pictures of the settings first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back