Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAPTOP PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIKESCOMP

Technical User
Mar 22, 2006
US
Hi i have a compaq presario 700 the problem with it is everytime i go to install xp,or 2000 on it it always has errors like for example after u format it , it goes to copying istallation files and it will stop at some like this " Setup Cannot Copy File: Modem.sys " .to retry, press enter " and when u press enter same thin i tried changeing disks same thing the dvd drive gets so hott i think it may be gettin overheating but it installs 98 fine when this model is design for xp i dont understand. I tried "Home Edition" and "Professinal Edition" Same thing. The xp i could get on there is off the quick restore cds compaq Provides but when it gets done it seems like it works but u get copy error's like when u install office 2003 it says .inf error stuff like that please help me i would really apperciate . Heres the SPecs of the system :
1ghz AMD Duron Processer
40 gig hard drive
4x dvd drive i believe the one the came with it
==========================================================
my presario 700 has problems installing xp i think it may be a memory problem well here is the log :
Error:
SXS.DLL:syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTLMAN" on line 16

===
Error:
Installation Failed D:\I386\Asms Error Message: A Componet's File does not match the verification information presentsin the Componet manifest

====
Fatal Error:
One of the componets that windows need to continue setup could not be
installed.

====
Error:
SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTLMAN\" on line 11
==
FATAL ERROR:
One of the componets that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

A componets file does not match the verification information present in the componets manifest.

====

While the info you give does not quite eliminate a possible problem with the CD's or the CD drive I would suggest you download and run memtest86 (google for it).

The reason I say this is that XP uses more RAM to install than 98 - so I half suspect a memory problem. It needs eliminating as a possible source of the problem anyway.

I would also check out the hard drive with either a utility from compaq or something like spinrite from grc.com.

You could I suppose have some weird issue with the CD drive?

thanks it found so many errors none passed thanks

Memory errors I assume. Am I worth a star LOL

Glad to have helped

stduc naughty boy! you shouldn't ask! but hey, you'll definately get one now I've said that!

I agree with the memory being at fault.

You might be lucky, if you have more than one module fitted it's likely just one thats faulty.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

i changed mem still not the case i also change hard drives and dvd drives still same problems

Are you saying you've changed the memory and you still get errors when you run memtest86?

Wrong type of memory or not seating properly perhaps.

I think I'd try a change of processor, or at the very least try reseating it cleaning the heatsink areas and using fresh heatsink compound.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Look for blown caps on the MB. We had a client pick up a machine, and call us when it got setup. Couldn't find any drives, after we formatted, and installed all kinds of new things (after replacing the PSU).

He brought it in, and no disks were detected. Swapping PSU and drives resulted in the same thing.

We noticed one blown cap, and assumed that it was for the IDE controller. We are going to replace that cap from another identical board, just to save this guy some money.

I'd have sworn that yesterday was Friday the 13th!

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back