Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LapTop Pcmcia cd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squrl79

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
I have a IBM THinkpad 701CS that i am working on and i cannot get the cd-rom to connect the cd-rom is external and connects through a pcmcia card it was working once before but out of nowhere it stopped functioning. i have reinstalled the drivers and unisinstalled the drivers and reinsatlled them again. i really can't get it to do anything for me. if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

Hi - I'm having exactly the same problem with a Toshiba Portege running NT 4.0 . Did you have any luck getting yours to work?
Thanks
Ed

Well, a couple of questions.....

1) Does any other PCMCIA card work in the same PCMCIA slot?
2) Is it possible for you to try to CDROM drive on a friend's laptop (to find out if problem is drive or laptop)
3) What OS?
4) Is that the same OS that you were running when the cdrom drive worked?
5) How do you know that it is not working (does it give you an error message? If so what/where....)

Thanks for the info!

Hi - In answer to your questions - I tried an old modem card in the same slot and that seemed to work ok , I haven't had a chance to try the drive in another machine yet. Its running NT4.0 SP6a (I'm going to make a cross-over cable so I can try and re-install the SP).
Nothing about the machine spec changed , just one day the drive stopped working - error is 'The driver for the card failed to load' Driver is fcpccide.sys , if you look for the service it shows as stopped but then says it cannot be started as it is already running!
I've tried various updated drivers and a fix I found on Google (fcpccide.ntp swop and rename .sys) but no joy so far , just hoping someone else has a bright idea.
Thanks for your time
Ed

In resonse to your first two questions no but, I really should have done that stuff.

for the other 2 questions i used the cd-rom drive to upgrade win 95 factory install to win 98se. a few months after upgrading it discontinued to function.

The cd-rom does not show up in my computer and is not accessable from dos

In response to both of your issues, I don't know at this time what is causing it. However, I would stronly recommend using your drive on a different system to see if the problem exists in the system or in the equipement.

Next, I would boot to safe mode, make sure you don't have ghost drivers installed for that device. If so, remove all of them and then re-install.

Squrl79, DEFINITELY try something in that PCMCIA slot to ensure it is working.

Good luck!! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back