Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop not communicating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksweezo

MIS
Apr 25, 2001
JP
I am working on a dell laptop (windows 2000 pro) which has a docking station. This laptop is replacing a desktop pc (windows 95). The desktop works fine, it can ping anything in the network. The network consists of a peer to peer setup with static ip addresses, which spans two subnets at two locations. When the laptop is connected to the same connection as the desktop pc it cannot ping anything, I have insured that the ip address of the laptop is the same as the disconnected desktop. I connect the laptop directly to the desktop thru a crossover cable, after adjusting the ip address, and they can ping each other. The pings are good thru all network connections (integrated and docking station nic's). So I would assume that both nic's are working properly. But when the laptop is conneced thru either nic to the network no ping are reachable. Other pc on the network are working fine and can communicate. Additionally, this laptop travels to the other location where the other subnet is and it can communicate with the network fine and access resources back to the other subnet where it can't communicate. Tcpip is the only protocol that is being used in both subnets. Has anybody had this trouble or know how to fix this problem.... Thanks

what is the ip address and sunbnet range of the site that it does not work.

Is your gateway setup correctly?

Go into your command prompt and type route print and ipconfig and determine your setup.

You can also try a trace route ( tracert ) to see where the problem begins.

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\JOEY>tracert ip address Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

It seems that the network point where you are connecting your laptop is having problem. try connecting the same laptop at some other network point in the same subnet and it should work.
I had similar problem. Desktop was not able to get attached on the network while laptop was communicating using the same network connection. I found problem with network connection termination and correcting the same resolved the problem.
Try it out and do let me know if you could resolve it.

Just to let you all know how this problem was resolved....I was lucky that the docking station nic had a driver that would let me adjust the connection speed. When I adjusted the speed to 10 MB/sec from auto the laptop could communicate to anything on the network. All the nics on the network ar 10MB/sec devices with a 10/100MB/sec hub. So there must be a problem with the hub or the cabling between the pc's which won't allow connection speeds greater than 10 MB/sec. That will be another project in the future. Thanks for the hints to my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back