Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Not Booting Always

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmattey

Technical User
Jul 27, 2007
GB
Hello there,

I have a compaq presario 2506eu, once i turn the laptop on it powers fine but nothing comes on the screen for a a couple of minutes. Other times it's not come on at all so i connected it to my external lcd screen to see if still works, it does come up on my lcd screen.

When it wasnt coming on at all i took the screen apart and reconnected the lcd cable and inverter, it seemed to work fine after a couple mins of waiting like usual, don't mind waiting a couple of minutes but just it doesnt always come on.

Could it be a failing inverter? Maybe dodgy ram?

Also once windows is loaded it gets blue screen after being on for a few mins but i think thats just a driver issue which just needs windows reinstalling.

can anyone please help.

thanks

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Super 512MB

My first guess would be the actual display adapter, since no display on the laptop LCD nor an external.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

it does work on external and does work at times on the lcd on the laptop, seems to be a problem that doesnt always occur.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Do you at least always see the BIOS/MFG Startup Screen?

--

well it takes about 2 minutes roughly for the screen to come on, it powers fine but after 2 mins the bios screen comes up, loads normally.

i thought i'd fixed the laptop last weekend but my partners had it, said it started to randomly restart at times too, she mentioned it's blue screened before.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

she's been on it for the past two hours, there's two sticks of ram, one was taken out last night to see if made any difference (though specific one may of been faulty), she put the other back in so had two sticks in again. it seemed to load up and not restart like yesterday. it still seems to take 2 minutes roughly to get the screen to come on at the bios screen, the inverter mite be taking a while to get power to power the screen, im not entirely sure but only recently started taking 2 minutes for the screen to come on.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

I can't help but think that it's something else other than anything display related if it's taking 2 minutes to get to the BIOS. If it were the display, you'd already be in Windows after 2 minutes of a black screen.

Possibly somethign with the CPU, Hard Drive or mainboard itself. That's where my focus would be.

Perhaps you can download the Ultimate Boot CD, and run some checks from that to see if it shows anything that way?

Also, have you tried checking the temps for the CPU at boot-up (in the BIOS screen)?

--

well the compaq presario 2100/2500 are known for serious overheating issues, this laptop has burnt two ac adapters and had the dc jack replaced twice on the motherboard.

i've bought a cooling pad which is currently being used for the past few days, keeps the laptop really cool.

i know with cpu's if it's not installed correctly nothing comes on the screen and the drives just spin. it's similar with this 2 minute waiting, can hear stuff spinning but nothing on the screen.

the 2 minute waiting has only happened since the ac adapter got melted, so maybe the cpu has become damaged aswell, overheated perhaps?

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

sometimes the screen doesnt come on at all after 2 minutes at times, could be a faulty cpu has some of the symptoms are similar to not having a cpu installed.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Does the same problem occur if you start up and run on battery power alone? What happens if you pull the battery then plug in and switch on the AC adaptor? Still the same time lag?

If the 2 minute waiting period has only occurred since the AC adaptor got burned, then I'd say either the battery could be faulty, or the power input circuitry on the motherboard is starting to fail. I'm assuming here that you got the correct replacement AC adaptor, and it's not an under-powered alternative...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

the battery is useless, has been basically since bought the laptop new, holds charge for 10-15 minutes if your lucky. can't really try booting with just the battery as its always flat basically.

4.9v 90w hp adapter i think its those numbers but anyway it is the correct adapter.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Did you pull out the battery completely, and then plug in and switch on the AC adaptor? Still the same time lag?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

i've tried it in the past without the battery, just the ac adapter and its been the same im pretty sure.

i know one or two of the pins on the cpu have been bent before and straightened again, maybe that could of damaged it too. the cpu does work as it boots eventually, so not sure if could be the cpu or not.

is it worth buying another cpu, try it incase? can get them on ebay for dead cheap, like £6.

Asus P5K Motherboard
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive

Straightening bent pins on a CPU would not in my opinion cause the problems you're experiencing. However, this needs qualifying, by saying the assumption must be that ALL the pins are still in place, and that none were shorted together when power was applied.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

IMHO, I would take out the HDD, then take the rest and sell it on eBay...

and get a newer laptop, better spec'd notebooks are to be had at a low price these days...

basically, write it off it's not worth putting more money into it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

here here.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back