Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbiedigital

Programmer
Sep 18, 2004
AU
Is laptop memory brand specific

I have an old toshiba tecra a2 and my dad has a new acer travelmate 2480, im thinking of getting a new laptop and giving him my old ram, both types of ram are ddr but mine is pc2700 i think his is a different sort, mine seems to fit in the slot but i dont want to put it in unless i know it will work and not catch on fire :) (Just kidding but you know what i mean).

Cheers for the help
Bobbie

The answer is "it depends". Laptop manufacturers used to use proprietary memory but nowadays most if not all use standard SODIMMs. Visit the web site of one of the big memory manufacturers, like or and they will have some sort of 'memory chooser' page, where you input your model details and it tells you what memory you need.

If your memory fits the slot perfectly then it's the right type. It might be slower than your dad's machine needs (PC2700 refers to the speed) but that won't be too much of a problem as the machine will detect that and run the memory at the right speed. The machine will run slower than if it had faster memory, but the increase in the amount of memory should more than compensate for this.

Having said all that, memory is very cheap nowadays so you may as well just buy some new memory for your dad's laptop. That way you can sell your old Toshiba or give it to someone who needs it.

Regards

Nelviticus

Cheers mate for the info, ive got the confidence to give it a go now and see if it works.

cheers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back