Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmkman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
I have a network setup on a 2003 server. Clients are XP and Windows 7. The policies are going well and most are working. With accounts for the local network on desktop machines I don't seem to have an issue.

We are now implementing laptops for teacher use. They need to be able to bring the laptop home and log in "locally" to their account (not on the network server here at school). Their accounts are not being created on the laptops when they log in and are not available for them when they get home. The documents they save seem to be temporary as after a time, I have to set up their accounts again after logging in at school.

The policy is allowing cached accounts on the laptop in order to have them be able to log in at home but this doesn't solve the problem.

I guess my question would be, how do I set up a laptop for them to retain their information when they go home? The laptop works fine at school.

Thank you

perhaps I don't have the roaming profiles set up correctly?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Bill

That's the problem though. For some reason, that isn't happening. They would save in the document section and when they were home they couldn't log in. After I began saving the cached accounts to their laptops, at least then they could log in. One of the teachers (must have run out of the cached accounts) lost everything they saved on the laptop in their "documents" folder locally. Just prior to that, I had copied their information from their server "documents" to their laptops. That information was gone as well.

On the share where you store your roaming profiles do you have offline files cache enabled? It should NOT be enabled on shares that hold roaming profiles.

Your share that holds user docs should have offline files cache enabled..

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

In AD, the profile path is:
\\server\Profiles\username

The home folder path is:
\\server\Profiles\username

Is this where you are talking about? If not, please let me know where.

I was told to have a policy and set the interactive logons under local Policies in the computer configuration to at least 10.

On the actual windows share itself is where the offline cache options are set, so on the server that holds the share look at the properties of it and check that offline cache options. General recommendations are;
for shares where roaming profiles are stored offline caching is disabled
user files/docs should not be stored in the same path as the roaming profiles (use folder redirection for files/docs etc)
on the share holding user documents offline file caching should be enabled

Paul
VCP4

OK so, I have checked the share and it is as you suggest. It says that "All files and programs that users open from the share will be automatically available offline". This is on the profile share which is also where their documents are stored. I will be creating a share for the users in a different location and share that with this setting instead. Will this take care of the problem? I also have their documents redirected so I assume that I should change that as well.

Obviously working in a forum I can't say for sure that this will fix the problem, I can't see your system or get real hands on with it.
But if you configure your systems, where possible, in accordance with best practices then issues should be minimized.

So yes disable offline file caching on the share that holds user profiles and redirect user docs to another share that has offline caching enabled and then see how you go..

Post back and let us know..

Paul
VCP4

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it turns out.

Bill

Sorry it took me a while but I had to test this out with a few teachers.

I have the data directory changed and the offline file caching changed in group policy. I have one teacher that is giving me information when I make changes but when he logs in at home, he always seems to get logged in with a temporary profile and not one that will save changes.

I believe the changes I have currently made are the right way to go and I am heading in the right direction for "best practices" but I am not quite there yet. I really need to get these up and running properly.

Thank you

Bill

You don't have a group policy set that deletes roaming profiles from the machines do you?

The setting is:
Delete cached copies of roaming proflies

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

Paul
VCP4

No I do not have that in the policy.

Perhaps I shouldn't have roaming profiles?

I think about when then go for the summer and are unable to log in to the network here at school. I would create a local user for them but I need the restrictions I have in place for them.

thanks

Sorry it took so long. I was testing a few things out. I believe that getting rid of the roaming profiles did the trick. So far, so good. They now have a local profile and don't seem to have any issues, yet!

I have also done as suggested and created a data store on a different server which their information is stored now.

The only thing for me to do is get the wireless to work better with domain and with home.

thank you

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back