Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop keyboard problem - pressing once types multiple letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatcal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
Hi,

I am having problems with my laptop keyboard (Dell Latitude Cpx). When I enter certain letters, typing once leads to multiple letters being typed.

This is happening a lot with letters "a" "i" and "o".

Is this an issue of dirt getting in the laptop? Or is it hardware related?

Thanks.

First, turn the laptop upside down and tighten all the little screws found there.

I did this two weeks ago, when I opened it to air brush everything.

Thoughts?

Any other ideas folks???

Thanks.

This one shocked me the first few times that I saw it.

Mostly likely, it's the function key. Seriously. - Don't believe it, that's what I said.

I had a laptop that a customer brought to me that was doing exactly that. They had been using this laptop for months and had never seen this. Another tech actually fixed this problem by pressing something like Function+Control or maybey it was ALT+Function. (It was a while ago) Try a couple combination of the function button.

More recently, I saw it again with a more modern laptop, bran new really. Same thing

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

Wow! Go figure.

It seems to work for a while, but then it comes back. That may be because I am not using the right second key with Function (I have used Control and Alt). As it happens, I just hit Fn and a few keys and it goes away.

THanks!!

Hi,
I have quite similar problem with my Dell Latitude CPx 750j, sometimes the whole diagonal of keys: " 8 i k , " does not work.
I tried the test from Dell, and the controller works fine. I tried the different combination of keys but does not make any difference.

Could it be a problem with the connector or keyboard connections?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back