Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooster9

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2005
US
Hello everyone.
Could someone give me an idea of what could possibly be the issue with a laptop I am trying to resolve. I have searched Google and Dell's online KB, but have come up empty handed thusfar.

Here are the details:
Dell Inspiron 8000, PIII 850 256RAM
(No longer under warranty)
When pressing the power button, the power light, hard drive light and other lights will flash on for about 2 seconds and it sounds like the hard drive spinning up and then the entire system shuts-off by itself.

I have disconnected the battery and tried booting-up using AC only, and then using only the battery and not AC, and I get the same results. I even swapped the memory from bank1 to bank2 and tried booting via AC and battery and the laptop keeps shutting off by itself.

I am suspecting either the power supply or processor may be bad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.
Rooster

Definitely a hardware problem. Can be a bad PS, CPU, MB, etc. Suggest deep sixing it, since the repair cost can equal the cost of a new laptop.

You should be able to get the ram and the cpu tested at a shop fairly cheaply. Even if they are good at least you know you can sell them if you never get the laptop going.
And if one is bad you should have your culprit.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Good news of a sort. You can still get rid of it on Ebay. Just be honest about it and you can still get a few bucks for it.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Your suggestions are helpful. I will be contacting a local vendor or two for price quotes on getting the laptop looked at.

It would be great if Dell, HP or another vendor could see that there actually is a market for designing, creating and selling a laptop that allows easy access to internal components, (motherboard, processor, etc...). System Admins would be buying them left and right, depending on design and functionality.
Rooster

rooster9,
A failed internal fan may be the culprit. Lack of rotation detection may be causing a shut down to save internal components (cpu) from over-heating.

Though it could a failed sensor on the mobo as well.

My Dell Insprion 2650 would do that every so often and it turned out to be the battery. Mine will not boot without the battery in it (Is it suppose to?). Bought a new battery and haven't had the issue since.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back