Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop heating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Sarang

Programmer
Sep 24, 2022
IN
Hello, I am using a Asus ROG Strix G17 and using it since a month. The configuration goes like this - i7, 12th gen processor, RTX 3070ti and 16 gigs of Ram, the problem with my device is that, whenever I try to play games and do heavy tasks, the device tends to heat a lot. What could be the possible reasons? The average temperature reaches to about 90 - 93 degrees on hardcore gaming. Do I need to get worried or is it okay?

If you Google asus rog strix g17 overheating you'll see from the results that this is a common problem.

As such, it's apparently a design fault that cooling under load is inadequate for this gaming laptop.

Hope this helps...

The laptop model does not necessarily matter. Running high end hardware and high end applications will generate heat. The exhaust from my Dell laptop is burning the flesh off my left hand. I have to constantly brew coffee at my desk to cover the smell of barbecue phalanges floating to other cubicles in the office.

Well ventilated/cooled tower systems are still more valuable than portable laptops.

Also worth blowing compressed air through the air vents when the laptop is off. An incredible amount of dust seems to gather inside laptops. Sometimes, it is so thick, you actually need to open it up and remove it with a screwdriver.

I got an AW gaming laptop, myself, almost a year ago, and I have had to think more about cooling for sure.

It isn't absolute, but one thing that helps WAY MORE than you would ever expect is to elevate the back of your laptop at least somewhat above the front when it's in use, especially with anything graphically intensive. If you can prop up the back of the laptop, such as prop it up with some small item(s) to give it maybe 2 inches clearance, you'll see temps improve greatly.

Another thing you can consider is "overclocking" or in this case "underclocking". If you can underclock the GPU and/or CPU, but still get performance, that'll help the heat as well.

If you absolutely want the highest performance, regardless, then a laptop is just a bad choice. Going with a desktop is best there, but of course if you also want some mobility, then you have to sacrifice a bit on performance.

Also be careful if adding other fans for cooling. You can end up doing worse more easily than better when it comes to laptops. Laptop cooling tends to be quite different than desktop cooling.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Usually, the issue lies with the thermal paste drying out after some months of heavy use. The laptop needs to be opened up, the heatsink removed and fresh thermal paste to be applied. This should make quite some difference, especially if you get high quality paste.

For safety also check the battery.
How is it if you use only the power supply without the battery inside?

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hi! Your Asus ROG Strix G17 is a high-performance laptop that is designed for gaming and other heavy tasks. It's common for laptops to heat up during gaming or other resource-intensive activities.

However, temperatures of 90-93 degrees Celsius are quite high and could potentially damage your laptop's hardware if left unchecked. High temperatures can also cause performance throttling, which can negatively impact your gaming experience.

Maybe its because of inadequate cooling, which could be due to a malfunctioning fan, clogged air vents, or insufficient thermal paste

I see we have another necroposter - someone that revives of old threads with a comment that is not particularly insightful, most likely for some type of personal gain

He's a newbie. Trying to get himself known.
Give him a bit of time.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I'm always suspicious vs. you giving the benefit of the doubt. Tells you how we look at things differently.

Well, I was suspicious enough to check his profile creation date, so . . .

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Heating is common problem and as you said you do heavy task on your laptop. Please do not use laptop during charging.

ok so long time lurker first time poster i had to make a comment

newer laptops and desktops are designed to heat up to around 95c especially amd is design it will draw maximum power,go to the highest clocks and stay under the temp target to achieve maximum performance

you can do a few things and people wont agree but its the facts
stay in balanced mode,if asus has an option in the bios or through power management then you need to put it into ac power mode to ensure it isnt trying to charge the battery

xtu is an intel utilitily where you can underclock i would probably start there if its clean and the tim paste is recent

you can also edit your registry and disable turbo boost, im 80 to 90 percent of my usage i dont see a performance loss and my temps on a 6900hx drop from 90-92 to around maybe 75 max on the cpu
if you dont want to disable turbo boost through the registry you can edit the power plan to max th ecpu out at 99 percent, my last i7 laptop this was necessary i was getting studdering and overheating massively

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back