Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop HD inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
I don't know alot about laptop hardware and if it is the same as PC hardware, so pardon my ignorance.

We have an IBM Thinkpad A22m that has a bad HD. I called IBM and they said of course the best solution would be going with the exact same HD. That would be $185 from the 2 online retailers I could find. Are laptop HDs as interchangeable as desktop ones?

The FRU # is 22L0076, model# IC25N030ATD04-0

Thanks for any help.

yes they are all the same you can put any laptop hard drive in any laptop a hard drive is a hard drive. also dosent the laptop have a warrenty? becase that should be coverd.

Actually all laptop drives are not the same, they have different dimensions. all are 2.5 inch but some are thicker then others, older drives are thicker then newer drives. their are drives of 13mm,17mm,19mm,21mm. and so on. if your maqchine takes a 19mm a very popular drive size then all but the 21mm would fit.

Rich

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

And there are some with connector differences.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I guess I just played it safe and grabbed the exact same drive... thanks for the input

I don't like IBM hard drives. I find myself replacing quite a few of them, both in Laptops and Desktops. I've found Toshiba's laptop hard drives to be very reliable. Mayhaps you would have better luck with them aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back