Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop froze up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcell0042

Programmer
Mar 13, 2003
US
My laptop suddenly shut off. And now when I turn it on I hear it running but nothing is displayed on the screen. I hooked it up to another monitor but nothing is displayed on that monitor either. I just want to know if it could be a hard drive issue or something with the video. Or should I just junk it and get another one. Its an HP Pavillion that's only a year old and the warranty ran out 10 days ago.

It could be anything. How much did you pay foe it, check with a repair shop on how much they charge to check it out.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I have to agree.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

This is a display issue.

I understand the warranty ran out 10 days ago, call for service and pretend you don't know it expired.

In some cases (and not many), they will let the short expiration period slide and fix it for you.

It's worth the try. Otherwise, you're looking at the video and it's not likely to be cheap.

Keep us posted.

Doesn't display the bios, but it the welcome screen pops up and it just freezes.

roland63 said:
This is a display issue.

That's a bold statement for the limited amount of information that you were given.

Before stating "This is a display issue", I would have asked the following questions, at least:

1) Are there any post beeps? A single beep? Multiple beeps?
2) Is the backlight for the display on? Is there anything on the display, even a single flashing cursor?
3) Do you hear the hard drive spin up? Fans?
4) Do they keyboard lights flash when you first power it on?
5) When it is powered up, can you eject the CDRom?

Doesn't display the bios, but it the welcome screen pops up and it just freezes.

This gives some more information. If the welcome screen pops up, then it's in "silent boot" mode, where it's not showing the normal bios screen. However, I would still continue to ask the other questions.

If it's a hard drive issue, it would boot off of a CDRom.

The fact that it shows the welcome screen indicates that it is *NOT* a display issue.

I'm still curious about the other questions, however. (Post beeps, fans, hard drive spinning), oh, and make sure that you don't have a CDRom in the drive that it is trying to boot off of.

If you can get into your BIOS, check to make sure that it's set to boot from the hard drive, and it's not trying to boot from a network device or something.

roland63:
Not to rip on you, dude... but making such a factual statement when you don't have the facts isn't following some normal troubleshooting flow. ;-)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I'm sending it back to HP. It was the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back