Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop connection to NAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueE

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
Is there another way possible to connect a laptop to a NAM besides using terminal emulation and the serial port driver as outlined in ITAS tip 170?
DueE

Network connection if NAM equiped;
Dial up networking if NAM Some ver 3s or higher; and
Modem if NAM equiped.

Don't have any that are networked,this is rural central illinois..tell me about the newer vers 3 and up. Are you using that internal modem? Appreciate any help.
DueE

DueE,
The dial up networking is through the "RS232" port. It is a funky way of emulating the Network connection with out a NIC. The "RS232" change was apparrently mid Ver 3.0. What is it in particular you are trying to do?

Phone Man, I want to use Norstar Manager to change parameters, i.e., CLS to stop forced password change.
DueE

Right! You can't use Norstar Manager on a NAM. There is another GUI for the dial up networking called Norstar Voice Mail Manager. Do you have this? Then I think you need to use the Dial Up Networking either directly or in conjunction with the internal modem or an external modem. If dedicating a line to the NAM is an issue try putting a Stick from multinet on site. This will work well to share a line you can dial in on and target the device required. Hope after all the above this helps???

Cheers

DueE,
PS ... Perhaps... Is it that you have the VM Manager but need to know how to set up the dial up networking? It is different from the oler RS232 method. ???
If so I'll publish the instructions.
PhM

Phone Man, I guess I went brain dead when I was writing that, I DID mean Norstar VM Manager...I have NRU 9.0 w/3.7 N* Mgr already installed and have used it before,(back to NRU 5.0) but then the company recently upgraded my laptop and there is a problem.(btw, I didn't grow up with computers and sometimes they make me X-) !) I'll get it working again, but I've read there are other ways to connect to the NAM through the internal modem. It might really easy but I don't know the process to get it done. Any help is appreicated!
DueE

to DueE
While you may not have any of your NAM's networked the network port may still be on the NAM. Look at the connection panel of the NAM and see if there is a NIC card on it. If there is you can connect your laptop network port directly to the NAM (using a reversing cat 5 cable) and the norstar Voice Mail Manager software. See The setup and operations guide for more details, I havent done this since the norstar class. maybe someone who has used this more recently could give DueE some more pointers

Jerry Reeve

DueE,
Yeah. I didn't grow up with these #@%&$@%#&@$#% things either and my early telephone days were characterized by lead-paper cable, setting dial interupt speed, cord boards and rotting telephone poles. Metal chairs and telephone magnetos I miss.

Unless terminal emulation will work in your NAM, you are left with the variations of Dial Up Networking and set admin (w/FRad).

This one has been fun.
Keep me posted.

PhM

DueE,

Looks like Phone Man's taking care of you but I did want to point out one thing. You should make sure VM Manager is enabled on the NAM. The newer NAM's all come with VM Manager but the older ones required a keycode to enable this functionality. Here's how to check:

Press F983
Enter your password
At the main menu, press 4
This will show you a list of all available options, if you see VM Manager listed, you're set!

Great responses thank you! Jerry, yes it's the dial up networking I think I'm wanting to try and I just got a 4.0 NAM w/NIC installed to work with.
Sparkomatic, thanks for that tip to use on the older models, we hav'em out there.
PhoneMan-good ole days right? (did ya ever"burn" one of those rotting poles? Thanks for the tips, I will keep ya posted and probably will have more questions.
DueE

DueE,
No never did the burn thing unless we were salvaging copper.... .95/lb at one time! Fell off a few poles, broke a few and climbed a new one that some bright spark chain sawed 1/2 an inch off the ground - held up by the strand.
/-:
But - on the NAM, were you able to connect a monitor and get Access Server from the OS2 side?

Rgds
PhM

that's alot of copper! I picked up that "burn" term from some lineman friends that used to hook daily, b4 the bucket trucks and they described burning a pole as painful, hugging and slidin down experience!
Haven't had the opportunity to attempt the connect yet. the lab MICSw/NAM is now being used for a couple of days on another project and I need to figure out what I need to do for connecting through the NIC w/o the LAN. I found a couple of pages in the NVM setup & ops but it's vague to me.
DueE

DueE
Ah... that burn. I know it well it is painfull and can do terrible bodily damage. I got lucky and don't have scars to prove it. We use

I finally stayed with it long enough to get this "newer" laptop programmed to connect to the NAM's port B and my com1. One of my problems was that I was still using Procomm Plus like I used too ( it worked on the old laptop) and a couple of parameter changes in my laptop. Now I just connect, do the dial up and log on with VMMgr.
Hey Jerry-may get back to ya later on the NIC connection sometime when I feel the need for some self abuse.
I thank all of you for your input! DueE

Do either of you guys know what to configure the serial port on my laptop (baud rate and data bits ect.) to get the laptop to connect to NAM II v 3.0.1

Right out of the NAM II Installation and Maintenance Manual it says:

9600 baud
8 data bits
1 stop bit
no parity

There is also a note that states "Your terminal must be VT100 compatible.

Good luck,
Volaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back