Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop config for x-window for free BSD Unix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjcorne

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2000
US
I could really use a note on how to get the paramaters to set up x-windows on my laptop. it's a compaq amd 500 model Pressario 1200. i'd really hate to fry it. i was really amazed how i could shrink the windows partition with FIPS and it worked so well. i hope i can get the information i need for the dsiplay. i need maximum horizontal frequency & dot clock range. i know it has a Trident CyberBladei7, 4MB video card but i'm not sure what chipset trident uses. they could use their own. i do know the memory is shared with on board ram.

-so, please let me know,
thanks,
bjcorne [sig][/sig]

Have you checked to see whether your video card is supported by X? Which version of X do you want to run: 3, or 4?

If you have already installed FreeBSD without X, try running SuperProbe, and see if it detects your card properly.

Also, if there is questionable support for your video card, you might try using the framebuffer option. My laptop could not get the full 800 X 600 from a standard X install, but when I tried Slackware, it gave me the option of using the framebuffer for both character mode AND X, so I had a nice 800 X 600 console and windows. [sig][/sig]

thanks rycamor,
i have turbo linux and may check it out. i have a few specs from the compaq site but that worries me. i'm trying the setup again with what i have. the last time it really stunk with SuperProbe. i've had this problem with new boards and linux. i tried downloading a new tar file that updates the hardware available to superprobe but i download on a microsoft platform and i don't know how to transfer to a unix platform from there yet. i have formatted and copied to floppies but i haven't connected via network card yet. i also have a cd burner but i wonder about making a cd i could read in free BSD unix.

thanks again,
bjcorne@aol.com [sig][/sig]

Shouldn't be any problem making the CD readable in Unix, as long as you use long filename format (Joliet/El Torito, or something like that). Same with floppies. The open-source Unixes tends to be a little more omnivorous with file formats than Windows.

If you're looking for a Linux that is similar to FreeBSD, but with more hardware support, I suggest you download Slackware. Its system configuration is almost exactly like FreeBSD, and it seemed to do better on my laptop than any other Linux I tried. [sig][/sig]

thanks for the tip. i got x to work. i just had to choose a little more resolution. 800 x 600 wasn't quite enough. i got a little worried when the Compaq site described the split screen stuff.

Now i wonder about using a different x windo. i need to find out which one they use at Fayetteville State U here in NC. while it is kinda slow, it has many more features than y plain Jane version.

thanks agin,
bjcorne@aol.com

thanks again. i'll check out kde and gnome. next i get to play with printing from unix. they can't always get that right at FSU, especially a networked printer. seems like the ones they have belong in a museum next to the telegraph.
thanks,
bj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back