Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop can't see flash drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robheeley

Instructor
Oct 8, 2003
GB
When I plug my SanDisk Micro 1GB flash drive into my Toshiba Laptop, using XP home, the flash drive doesn't show in the My Computer window. I can "see" it as a removable device from Control Panel, but can't access the files from there unless I copy them to the PC first. Other flash drives work OK and the Sandisk works on Win 2000. Any tips?

Thanks a lot, that's really useful. What I don't understand is why it works with some flash drives and not others. Are the registry settings different for different manufacturers and models?

Run this freeware and we will have a better idea. Is your USB pen drive shown?

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
For each USB device, exteneded information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more... USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, and disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer.

It is unlikely brand-specific. But the SanDisk is a U3-type pen drive and therefore wants two drive letters.

Yes, the pen drive is shown and allocated drive letter E but still doesn't show up in My Computer window. Thanks for pointing me to the download. I also have an Integral pen drive and that works fine. It wants two drive letters, E and A but the Sandisk has only ever had E.

Two things to try:

First, create lower drive letter room.

Since you cannot use Disk Manager to move drive letters A, B, and you boot/system volume, move your optical drive at D: to a high drive letter. This will then open drive letter D:. Natively, you cannot prevent the XP Mount Manager from inserting these USB pen drives into the lower alphabetic drive letters, but you can give more room.

Second, the only way to "fix" the issue that I have every seen is to use this the USB Drive Letter Manager:

This will allow "fixed" letter assignments for the USB pen drives.

From reading the posts suggested by Linney, I'm thinking that the problem may lie with the DVD drive software. How would I go about changing the DVD drive letter? Would this solve the problem if it was the DVD software? Sorry to be so thick!

How would I go about changing the DVD drive letter?

This is, or should not be, a software issue. It is up to XP's Mount Manager. As I suggested above, move optical drives to high drive letters to free low alphabetic letter space.

Thank you so much for your help (and patience!) I will try assigning a different drive letter as soon as I can get access to the laptop. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back