Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicalDean

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
GB
I apologise if this is not the right place for this, but I was hoping someone could suggest where to buy a laptop such as this, or which manufacturer I should use. I am looking for a high spec laptop that I can take to uni with me (studying Computer Science by the way). I want to get a laptop that can plays games well and won't overheat as I will be using it for long periods of time. These are the criteria I hope to get:

Please note portability is not an issue; I just don't want to be lugging a desktop PC between uni and home etc

Main Criteria
• Fast processor
• Good graphics card
• Reasonable sound card (I use headphones)
• 802.11g wireless network card preferred
• 15"/15.4" because 17" always seems stupidly large to me
• 1GB Ram
• Windows XP (Professional preferred but not hugely worried)
• 80GB or larger hard drive
• At least 2 USB ports but more would be preferred

Criteria I would like to fulfil
• Bluetooth connectivity
• TV Tuner (see below)

These are a few unrelated questions I would love to know the answers to
• Am I right in thinking if I have a TV Tuner then I can watch TV without needing anything else (apart from a licence obviously)? If not, then what do they actually do?
• Can anyone suggest a good printer that is reasonably portable and not too expensive that I could use to print work, etc?

If there are no laptops available with 15" or 15.4" screens, then please list any with 17" screens that fit the rest of the criteria

Thanks for the help!

I'd recommend that you stick with either Dell or HP laptops and buy on line directly from them. They both have several in their ranges with 15.4" widescreen panels.

I'm not condeming other laptops, but the warranty and after sales with both Dell and HP and excellent.

Regards: tf1

I would recommend before you purchase anything, check out some local system builders. They can build you something to exactly suit your needs, and in most cases, their prices are at least reasonably competitive. If you pick the right one, you'll get better before and after sales service than you could ever get over the phone with one of the large, big name outfits.

Cheers for the advice :) It occured to me to actually check out how Pentium Ms compare to desktop processor and it looks quite impressive :)

I'd never thought of trying HP or a local firm, so cheers for that as well

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with MESH Computers do they? They seemed quite good but some reviews mention hideously bad customer service which really worries me and put me off

Consumers Reports says that all computer firms have bad after market support except Apple. I have had a Toshiba, and hated the online support. I did the advised update and my computer crashed. You can't get Consumer Reports online without paying for it, but you can go to the library and check out their thoughts on computers buying.

Sival
Local builders for a Laptop?

In our experience the bare bone laptop chassis available for system builders like ourselves, are inferior and generally of cheap quality when compared to branded units ie Sony, IBM, Dell etc

Read some reviews as recommendations change so fast with new products hitting the market so fast.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back