Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop battery issue

js78477

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2024
Has anyone else had problems with their new gaming laptop battery? Mine used to last a decent amount of time, but now it barely lasts an hour, even when I'm not playing games. Sometimes the battery percentage just drops suddenly, and the laptop even shuts down when it says there’s still 20% left. Charging has also become slower, and the laptop gets pretty warm when plugged in. I’m not sure if I should just replace the battery or if there’s something else I can do. Any advice?

Is that a new gaming laptop or a new battery that you purchased for your laptop and if so, did you purchase a genuine OEM battery from the laptop manufacturer or from a 3rd party retailer?
In the meantime:

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Batteries section

For each device in that section:

Right click and choose Disable

Then right click and choose Enable

Close Device Manager

Restart your laptop and check if the battery is charging correctly.

I bought a new gaming[URL='] laptop battery[/URL] from an online retailer. I tried disabling and enabling the devices in the Batteries section of the Device Manager, as you suggested, but I'm still facing the same issue.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back