Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop Acer Aspire 50/50 3371

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2007
US
I would like to know if there is anyway I can turn the touchpad off. When I am typing an essay in word the curser goes crazy jumping up and down the screen and it's driving me nuts..

You may want to check the BIOS to see if there's an option for pointing devices. I think it's something like Simultaneous Pointing Devices or something to that effect. Just enable/disable this feature and when an external mouse is connected, the glidepad should auto disable.

Failing that i would suggest using the Fn key and one of the F keys across the top your keyboard there is usually one to disable the touchpad.

Hope this helps

Damo

From what I remember some Acer laptops use fn + f7 to disable the touchpad.

That Worked thanks this will help while typing an essay

Which suggestion helped? FN + F7? or the BIOS option from deldamo

Im going to ask a stupid question and you are going to laugh but Im new to laptop never owned one until now.. When I close the lid do I have to put it in Hibernate becasue if I don't when I open it it's gone into a ilegal system shutdown.. I have watched other people and from what Ive seen they just close it and sometimes while they are in the middle of something and when they reopen it it's right where they closed it.. Not mine if I don't hibernate it when I reopen it I have to go through the whole deal of letting it restart. Ive got an acer aspire running the vesta OS.. Please it's just I just want to be able to close it and open it without going through the hassel of restarting everytime..

Yes, you do need to Hibernate. You can set the laptop to do this when you shut the lid. If you go to the control panel & choose the power options, you can set it up from there.

ok good found that also, Im learning alot, I went into the setting and it said the best way is to set it on sleep mode that way when I reopen it, it's still where I left off and uses very little battery. But Hebernate saves it and uses less battery but I have to go through the process of logging on and opening back up where I left off.. Which is the best for my Computer and for the life of my Battery in the long run..And by the way you are giving me alot of good information that is very helpful Thanks again

Personally I would use the Hibernate option. This should be better in the long run, because it saves the current state & turns the machine off. Sleep still leaves things running & is not the best option for your battery.
To prolong the life of the battery, use the laptop on battery power as much as possible & only charge it up when it is required. Ocassionally, you need to run the battery right out.
To do this you need to remove all the power saving options, alarms etc. & leave the machine on until it dies out. Then do a complete recharge, preferably before the next use. This should prolong the life of the battery.
Pleased that I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back