Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laptop access to BCM works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWM

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
What is your experience with laptop connectivity and working with the BCM through a laptop?

While I am very familiar with traditional Nortel and networking, the BCM is new to me. And I have had less than great success with laptops connecting to Panasonic, Avaya, etc. Just clunky, old and buggy software.

But the Nortel may be different. And I do not know how to connect: just http via an IP port?

HOW do you connect and is it worth the trouble? Or do you all prefer just to admin via the phone?

Thanks,
mwm

You can use a crossover cable if your right next to it. I set the alt Ip address on my PC to 10.10.10.1 and i disconnect from the company lan and use a crossover cable. For my remote I just use the IP address assigned at the site. I use both a laptop and a desktop and I don't see any difference. You use IE to access the BCM.

Nortel does not support using a phoneset on anything under rls 4.0 as it can cause problems.

Thanks, guys! This should get me started. I suppose that Firefox will work as well though you specifically mentioned IE???

And are the web pages for the Nortel like the Call Pilot web pages? I really do like web access for administering vm.

No special Nortel software, right?

The administration otherwise is, I suppose, very similar to traditional MICS? Same sort of menu hierarchy, etc.?

Especially thanks for the tip regarding no support after rls 4.

Yours,
mwm

On my systems I just enter the IP address of the BCM on out LAN in to the IE browser and I get the main menu page on the BCM, I cam enter programing, CP, Maintance or download Apps. I don't know if the other Browsers work but IE is what Nortel supports.

Great! Thanks much.

Yours,
mwm

Thats before Rls 4.o not after.

Using IE and IP address brings you to the main menu, no software needed. just need to know the IP address of the BCM and the User ID and Password.

Thanks.

Traditional Nortel has a System Manager pw reset via the dialpad. But this BCM 50 is an established system set up by someone else and the client does not know any passwords.

What would be the best way to get into it, assuming there is a pw that is unknown?

A backdoor or is it a matter of defaulting the system--not a happy thought.

Thanks.
mwm

I should have asked you which model it was before giving advice, on a BCM 50 you use element manager and I havn't worked on one of those yet. someone here who has worked on them should beable to help you.

If you dont have any username,password you'll have to open a case at Nortel. At least now there's a backdoor which wasn't the case on Bcm 3.7 and lower.
They will generate a "password of the day" and you'll logon
using a Nortel account,then once in,you'll be able to change
the nnadmin account.

Thanks -- opening a case with Nortel requires, I believe, either dealer status or registered technician status. Or a customer can establish an account with Nortel.

And I am none of these, only an interconnect guy; so is that the sad end?

Thanks for all your quick help.

Yours,
mwm

Better to know now rather than later!

What about web Nortel tech support sites? Do they, e.g., A-1 Teletronics, have access to the backdoor? They have classes in Nortel, so perhaps they are qualified as dealers. (They are closed now, EST).

Thanks again;
mwm

A1Teletronics is not a Nortel Partner, but they do have former Nortel Techs working there that may be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back