Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAPI deleteobject and Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

markorjj

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2007
US
One of our custom apps is making a LAPI 'deleteobject' call. We assumed that the call would simply move the object out of the Livelink enterprise into the Recycle Bin.

What we are finding is that the call is actually moving it into the recycle bin and then doing an immediate purge of that object, making recovery of it almost impossible.

Is this a normal function for the 'deleteobject' call?

if the nodedelete is called by lapi or oscript it should follow the standard callbacks so I expect it is moving into recycle bin.Is there a way that your recycle bin is configured to purge on entry do other objects get deleted not thru lapi gets stored there

As fars as I can see for the api code

retStatus = llnode.NodeDelete( myNode )

It would have instantiated a temp node of the object so it would get all registered call backs so would behave exactly like the other delete as well.

Howver if your lapi code is catually doing a secondary dlete in this case it would get emptied from the recdycle bin so make sure your code refers to the node in a ordinary workspace and not one in a recycle bin workspace

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer and probably certfiable,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Background would be in order. The application is used to create new documents using an existing document as a template.

We found the problem after I applied the livelink patch that turned off the LAPI 'GetListObjects' function. Since the GetListObjects function failed, the create new object routine failed, and the application triggered a rollback of the change.

In this instance though, we found a bug where it not only rolled back the change, it rolled back the document and folder being used as a template.

So we thought, not a problem, we can recover from the Recycle Bin. Which is where we discovered the issue at hand, where the 'deleteobject' call also rolled them out of the recycle bin also.

So maybe we should be checking to see if there is a second deleteobject call in the code someplace. I'll have the developers look at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back