Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lanacfg.exe for XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alohaguy

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2005
US
Aloha POS (all versions) use NetBios and must use the connection on Lana 0. There is a version of lanacfg.exe for Windows 2000 and one for XP. My verion for XP appears to not work with SP2. Any ideas where I might find the version for SP2?

Thanks,

Chuck

Alohaguy,

As far as I know, the lanacfg.exe is not dependent on the service pack. I have a system with XP2, and I never had any issues. Is you customer using Netbeui? Why not switch them to TCP? As this is the default protocol for XP, it's lana is usually zero as a default setting. It would serve as an effective workaround if you can't change the lana number.

Btw, the lanacfg.exe is not an Aloha utility, it's a MS utility. IF I am wrong, and there is a second one for SP2, you should be able to obtain it via MS website.

Yes, I am based out of Central Florida. Why?

I am aware that lanacfg.exe is a ms utility. Even if you use TCP (which I always do) the lana number can still be an issue. If you have to add an additional NIC it will not be numbered 0.

Thanks for the reply.

Chuck,

You're right, that's way I said usually, but not always... if XP is installed in a machine with one NIC, it will be zero if TCP is the only protocol installed, but not neccessarily if it's multihomed, as in your case.
I am curious, what error message are you getting? What happens when you try to run the utility?

The reason I asked if you were based out of central Florida is somewhat coincidental. I recently came across a phone number of a "Chuck" in central florida on another remote and lesser know website, which is no doubt you :) Before I even saw your post, I was wondering if it would be ok if I gave that number a call, so we could have a conversation about something that might be mutually beneficial. I would also be willing to work with you on this issue.

Let me know.

Thanks!

I am not having a problem right now. I set up an XP SP2 machine on Saturday and was having network problems. One of the things I would have like to have tried in an attemt to solve my problem was to try the second network card. When I tried lanacfg.exe it simpy came back to a prompt. I used the argument 'showlanapaths'. As it turned out the problem was something else. So my wanting a lanacfg.exe that works with SP2 is pro-active. I don't want to need it in the future and not have it.

And yes you can call.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

In regard to your lanacfg question, I did see the problem once, and though this may not be the world's most technical suggestion, it does work :)

I remember the /showlanapaths switch not working, or at the very least, not displaying any information. So, I hooked up functional FOH computer that was looking for the file server and plugged it into the hub along with the XP machine. One by one, I change each lananumber to zero (This part of the utility definitely worked properly, even if the showlanapaths did not). I set 1 to 0, without even knowing what exactly I was modifying. I waited a 30 seconds or so, and nothing happened, so I set 0 back to 1. Then I set 2 to 0, and nothing happened. So I set 0 back to 2, and kept going. I set 3 to 0, and wallah... the FOH rebooted and came up running. As most things bound to your NIC don't seem to care what lana number they have (with the exception of Aloha, of course), this was an effective and simple solution. I don't even think I had to reboot the BOH after making the changes.

When in doubt, improvise :)

I have used the same lanacfg for sp1 and 2 as well as w2k. The only time this file didn't work was with XP with no service pack, that one takes a modified lanacfg. Maybe you used a corrupt file? Just my opinion!

BTW, I'm new to this forum. I just got bored with the aloha reseller support forum, so I've expanded. Hope I can help as much as possible!!

Adam

Welcome Adam! We are always in need of another geek to contribute to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back