Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN1, LAN2 and SIP Trunk Call Quality 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tac84

Programmer
Mar 15, 2019
AU
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice and recommendations.

Recently, I started noticing Alarms in System Status for nearly all SIP phone calls I was making under call quality of service. I have a very small network (Home office) which consists of the following:

-Basic ISP provided Internet router (This is my DHCP server only because of the wireless situation)
-Netgear ProSAFE JGS516PE managed switch (more of a hybrid between unmanaged and some management)
-Avaya IP Office 500v2 running R11.0.4.2.0 build 58 (DHCP Disabled on LAN1/2)
-SIP Trunks
-Various J179 SIP, J169 SIP and 9641GS in H.323

My networking skills are basic. I'm self taught (hence why they're basic) but still like to read up as much as I can, but I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track and feel there is something basic I'm missing. My first thought was because everything was running on LAN1 was to introduce VLANs, which has helped reduce the problem. The VLANs I set up with the Netgear switch is VLAN1 (Default) for Data and VLAN10 for Voice. It was easy enough to manually input the VLAN ID into the IP phones, however I use passthrough for Laptops/PCs and a small amount of TV streaming services.

The other Idea I had was to have the IP Phones connect to the LAN2(WAN) or at least run the SIP traffic through this interface. I've never actually noticed the LAN2 (WAN) port on the back of the IPO working. I plug a network cable in and connect it to the switch and have no lights on either end, however I can ping the LAN2 address from any PC on the LAN1 interface that is using the IPO as a gateway. If the computer is using my internet router as a gateway, It obviously cannot see Lan2 at all. I can also ping the internet from LAN2 using system status.

I tried testing a couple of 9630Gs to connect to LAN2 and it won't work. Of course I had to input a static IP Address from LAN2 because if the DHCP server on my internet router provides an address, no go. I figure now the issue is my IP Routes in IPO or another setting. When I say it "won't work" meaning it won't pull down settings files etc on startup and says "Discover 192.168.10.1"

As mentioned earlier, there is no cable plugged into the LAN2/WAN port as I figured that if it isn't showing lights/activity it either isn't working or is pointless having a cable in. I did try starting a phone with the LAN2/WAN plugged into a port on the Netgear switch, but no go.

I've taken some screenshots of the settings and would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or even letting me know If I'm wasting my time trying to do this. I don't mind a challenge!

IP Routes in IP Office:
IPRoute_cu55xk.png

LAN 1
LAN1-frontpage_aiwvzp.png

LAN 1 Network Topology
Lan1-NetworkTopology_orqk8w.png

LAN 2
Lan2-frontpage_wozhnz.png

LAN 2 Network Topology
LAN2-NetworkTopology_qgx30b.png

VLAN1 from Netgear switch
VLAN1Netgear_opi604.png

VLAN2 from Netgear switch
VLAN2Netgear_uegdyr.png

All ports PVID is VLAN 1 (Default) - data

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I know the more information everyone can see, the easier it might be to determine the issue. Appreciate any advice/feedback (positive or constructive). I try to do what I can to assist on this forum and have always had a great experience with you all.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

@Bucky101 - yep will test it out later. New chassis on the way just in case!

Do you know If I'll need to do a re-host/move with Avaya if I take out my existing SD card and use the same SD card in the new chassis?

I'll have to end up doing a re-host eventually anyway as I've finally ordered a replacement for the old 4GB card!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

@Bucky101 - Tested a direct connection from a laptop to the port, you're right it's dead.

Thankfully a new chassis should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Agree @critchey. I've got such a small network set up as explained above at the start of the post I can't imagine how I've done it. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth starting from scratch with a fresh config file for IPO. Maybe I've changed something over the last couple of years that has caused this because I certainly cannot see how the Netgear switch is doing this. It's managed but I've gone through it from start to finish. My Internet Router is ISP provided and very basic. All it really allows me to do is enable/disable DHCP, set static IP addresses in the range (It only provides one range).
It would be great to ditch the DHCP from the Router and use the IPO given I have just under 10 phones, however with wireless devices connecting to the router it isn't possible unless I go out and buy a wireless access device or something...

What are your thoughts re starting from scratch from a fresh config (Obviously keeping my original one backed up)? With a new chassis could it potentially resolve the issue?

Again, I really appreciate everyones input.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Hey, you can move the SD-Card to the new box with no issues. However do you know what release the licensing currently is? If its 11 you may be better off downloading the full version of Manager 11.1.1 and formatting the card.

@Bucky101 - cheers. The new chassis will come with no SD card apparently. The new SD card that I ordered separately will arrive today so I'll be reformatting it with manager anyway then submitting a re-host/move to get my licenses over - well, at least I think that's how I need to do it!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Yep, if you are not an Avaya Business Partner you will need to get the distributor or a BP to rehost. But you still need to make sure your licensing is the correct release. Do you know if it is all R11 licensing ? Open Manager and go to Licensing section. Should be able to work it out from there

Thanks @Bucky101. I'm not a Business Partner however Avaya did give me access to the full website and the PLDS portal, so I can see that I have the re-host/move option. The current release I'm running is R11.0.4.2 build 58 and thats the manager I have installed. I had to go through hell to get the access to their site but eventually they gave in...

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Wow nice one! Grab Manager 11.1.1 and format the card to bring it all up to the latest if you wish
Other wise just move the existing card to new box which will bring the box up to 11.4.2
Or pop in your new card (version is usually written on card) and rehost. You can move your config file simply by copying config.cfg from the old SD Cards System/Primary folder to new SD Cards System/Primary folder

If you are running Voicemail Pro on a Windows machine, stick with 11.0, as 11.1 requires you to deploy VMPro as a virtual Linux machine

Thanks @Bucky101 and @TouchToneTommy. Pink stars for you both.
I'm not running VM Pro so I could potentially upgrade without additional licensing to 11.1 however I did hear it was quite buggy, or is that now sorted out?

Going to keep the re-host/move simple with the current version I'm running. For some reason I can't download 11.1 from the Avaya site, only the current version of manager that I have so I'm going to give them a call at some stage...

I know it probably isn't how it works with Avaya but the way I figure it, If I paid all this money for licensing - I should be able to download anything in the IP Office family for R11!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Unfortunately its always buggy. 11.1.1 however I am finding to be ok, unless you want a custom settings file, but that is another story and you wont need this.
Yeah interesting, I didn't even know they could lock you out of different versions. I assumed if they give you access to IP Office you have it all

@bucky101 I just lodged a ticket with Avaya - There is definitely something wrong with my account and they're investigating it now.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

@Bucky101 - Matter is finally RESOLVED! LAN2/WAN port works fine on the new chassis. I've completed the re-host/move to the new 8GB SD card, no system errors and everything is working well.

I'll probably reformat the old SD card and sell the previous chassis cheap as it was working fine just not on the LAN2. I was thinking of reformatting the old card with R8 or R9 software so it can run without licenses.

Thanks again for all of your help throughout this!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Hey,
Great stuff! but you always need a license. Essential edition at least.

@Bucky101 - Yep. R9 with Essential Edition installed on the old device. Working well.

Thanks again for all of your advice on this.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back