Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

crapatthis

Technical User
May 22, 2003
GB
Hi
managed to set up a LAN between two computers, used 192.168.0.1 etc can get the two computers to talk and share but can't get the 2nd computer to use the internet, please help this is taking to much time and its not funny know more!!

how do you connect to the internet?
what have you done to share this connection?

it's not enough simply to network the 2 computers together; the connection has to be shared in some way - normally either a hardware router (Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, etc) or routing software (e.g. ICS: Internet Connection Sharing).

If you're running Windows 98 SE or later, ICS is included - install this on the PC which handles the internet connection. The second PC will have to be setup to use DYNAMIC IP address, not static.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I am using xp pro on both machines, went into network connections and tried to set up small home or office network, it ran the wizard on the main computer as the internet connection and on the 2nd computer same wizard but click on the thru anothe computer for internet connection.I'm using broadband at the moment but when i tried to set it up at my little boys house we used a 56k modem as the connection.

Not sure if I'm setting up the ICS correctly or setting up to DYNAMIC IP address, not static on the 2nd one

Do not forget that you will need two lan adapters in the machine connected to the internet in order to setup ICS. The reason it worked with the modem at another site was that the modem counted as a lan adapter on your serial port. I assume at home you are using DSL or cable instead of dial-up, and you will need two adapters: one to connect to the other computer, one to connect to the internet modem device.

I have a NIC in my main computer and a modem card for the broadband adapter, then my cat 5 goes to the other computer into the NIC card. The two computers talk know problem etc but the 2nd one fails to enter the Internet, I did manage it for a couple of minutes the other day how I haven't a clue.

ok,

go to network connections, find the connection icon which relates to your internet.
right click this, select properties
go to the advanced tab
select &quot;share this connection&quot;

you should be away :) (hopefully!)

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

crapatthis,

Sometimes an internal ADSL modem board just does not get recognized by Windows as an ICS capable device. It have no idea why, or what can be done about it.

If manarth's specific tip above does not work, see if your ISP will give you an external modem instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back