Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN with Cable, not connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1562

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
One of my friends has comcast cable running on their computer, and what i wanted to do was use that same ethernet card to hook the computer up to my LAN. It runs win98 second. i've set up LANs before, and have all of our computer on the LAN. And what i wanted to know, was how can i get his computer to work on the LAN just by pulling his ethernet cable out of his modem, and putting it into the hub.

Now i've done this on computer the same as his before, but have no idea how i did it. and currently cannot. We're running a 10/100 UDP LAN, all with class 5 cables (if that helps at all)

thanks for the help

-Matt

You have to change a few settings too, to match your network settings. Client, adapter, protocol, and services. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Sorry this is so late, but I just joined today. I believe that if you will open the command prompt and type ipconfig /release press Enter and then type ipconfig /renew it will solve your problems.

I had the same headaches trying to set up my LAN at home.

Hope this helps.

TheTAZ

also you need to assign a name to the workgroup which needs to be the same for all computor on the LAN, then each computer need a name, now make sure you have TCP and micrsoft family network loaded under network in control panel. Load also IPX which is required for some LAN games, also make sure each computer has in network a net card for TCP and IPX, This shoud do the trick if your using a hud like linksys, plug the cable modem into the hud, plug each computer into it and the system should have internet service for all computer and each computer should see the other. For file sharing click on my omputer and right click on eack hard drive and click on sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back