Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN with ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnease

Technical User
Apr 22, 2000
US
Okay, I haven't gotten myself into trouble... yet. I've ordered ADSL which, if I understand things correctly, involves a NIC and an ADSL modem.<br><br>I have two PCs, and I'd like to network them with a 10/100Mbps hub.&nbsp;&nbsp;I haven't bought anything yet; what's the simplest way to create a LAN with the PCs so they can share access to the Internet through the ADSL modem?<br><br>The machine on which the ADSL modem will be installed is running Win 95, but I am willing to upgrade to Win 98SE (I understand there may be shared networking features that may make that worth the trouble.)<br><br>Any recommendations/caveats would be greatly appreciated!

Try using internet sharing software such as Avirt SOHO (trial version is downloadable from ZDNET and I think it costs about $39.00 each) or SpartaCom internet sharing software. (Available from us). This package includes a 5-user license and sells for <br>$149.00. <p>David J. Aller<br><a href=mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com>GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</a><br><a href= Computer Systems & Networking Services</a><br> I try to share some of my knowledge and experience with others, and also have picked-up many<br>
tips from reading other postings.<br>
If you have any questions or comments, please email.

Besure that your provider allows you to have 2 IPs. Most DSL providers will infact provide 4, free. My setup has 4 computer on my sDSL. Way I have setup is.... DSL modem (x-over(crossover) cable) to the UPLINK space in the hub (always the last space availiable in the HUB, from there I just plugged my 4 computers in. Assign each computer its own IP.. and you ready to rock.. if this isnt clear, ill be happy to explain in real real real detail.. I hope this gives you the general idea behind it, cause im really tired =)

I have 6 pcs on a lan in my home and I have a dsl connection. I use a proxy called Comsocks by Linkbyte. It is really nice and very easy to set up. We use email, news, and even napster through it. The server is NT4 with 2 nics and an external dsl &quot;modem&quot;. With comsocks I can even connect and disconnect remotely from the machines on the network although we usually don't disconnect. If you want more details, email me and I would be glad to go into it more in depth.<br>hope this help you out.<br>chris

from what I understand, you'll need 2 NIC for the ADSL computer, 1 to connect ot the ADSL modem, and 1 to link all the other PCs on the lan, if you cant do multiple IP address, I Would recomend using a Proxy server, or gateway. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Linksys has a product just for this task. it is their cable/dsl router. I have not tried it, but it sounds interesting. Here is the webpage: <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> even has firewalling capabillities. Unfortunately it doesn't have a mac address which means that isp's that allocate ip addresses based on mac's won't like it. I believe that dlink has a similar product out which they call a gateway. <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> you are really interestested, you could always setup a linux box to take care of this.<br><br>fenris

Win98 should already be able to setup itself up as a gateway with its already installed software, I was able to share my dialup connectino using a proxy server, or using WinGate3, in both cases, all computers sharing the connection, share the same IP as well, assuming you have signed up for residence service, and its a single IP, this would be the best choice, because with the others, you have to manage to get an IP address for each machine. (And two ethernet cards may be required, the one for the ADSL modem, and the one to connect everyone else to your computer) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

The Linksys box does have it's own MAC address.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have one and use it all the time.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your Provider uses PPPoE, it can also handle that for you, freeing your computer's cpu of the overhead of running client software.&nbsp;&nbsp;See <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> for some more info on both DSL and the linksys router.&nbsp;&nbsp;You might also find more answers to your sharing problems there.

Ramzious, I don't own a linksys box, but as soon as I get cable that is definately what I will be getting. Thanks for the info that it has a MAC address.<br><br><br>fenris

if you get cable just a word of advise, avoid @home cable if you can, I use roadrunner, which so far has served me very well. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

thanks for the advice karl, I'll avoid @home.....<br><br><br>fenris

I concur with Karl. I have cable but have also done this with ADSL. You can then get cheap or even free Firewall software to protect your connection.<br><br>Karl, what's your beef with @home?

almost everyone online that used it has told me, that @home speed is capped to slower than willing to be paid, and there has been problems they've told me. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back