Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN / WAN ports connect to cisco switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael2000

Technical User
Jun 10, 2008
CA
Hi All.

Just a question out of curiosity.

Is it possible to configure a port on a cisco switch as a trunk port and connect it to the LAN / WAN port?

I have configured a port, groomed it to allow only the vlan I want through, but it doesn't seem to work.

As I said, just a curiosity question.

Regards

I guess you're talking about connecting an IP500 unit to it? If thats the case then no, because it cannot tag VLANs. You'd have to set it as an untagged port on your Cisco side for it to work.

If its server edition, then you can do it as you're able to tag the VLAN as and how required, its just Linux.

Thanks

make sure that the speed is set to Auto negotiate not hardcoded

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Hi Guys.

No its not on a server edition.... control unit model. I tried creating a trunk port to the IP Office and it failed FAMOUSLY.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards

As said, create a Access port with the voice VLAN as untagged, the switch wil tag/untag all data coming from/to IP Office

EXAMPLE, the commands depend on the IOS used:
Switch1>enable
# create a VLAN
Switch1#configure terminal
Switch1(config)#interface vlan 2
Switch1(config-if)#description Voice VLAN
Switch1(config-if)#exit
Setup the VLAN for port 1
Switch1(config)#interface FastEthernet 0/1
Switch1(config-if-range)#switchport mode access
Switch1(config-if-range)#switchport access vlan 2

If you want to have the other ports to be accessed by Data (untagged) and Voice (tagged) then setup ports 0/2 upto 0/x(number of switch ports availabe) as trunk ports
then you can connect a PC on the phones build in switch:
Switch1(config)#interface range FastEthernet 0/2, FastEthernet 0/x
Switch1(config-if-range)#switchport mode access
Switch1(config-if-range)#switchport access vlan 0, vlan 2
Switch1(config-if-range)#switchport trunk native vlan 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back